Sunflower husks

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
qwerty

Sunflower husks

Post by qwerty » Fri May 01, 2020 7:22 pm

Hello fellow worm keepers :).
I am a new wormery keeper so probably will need quite a lot of advice.
My first question is: are roasted sunflower husks suitable feed? My husband tries to wean hinself off cigarettes so consume tonnes of sunflower seeds. The result is a lot of husks. Can i give them to the worms or not? The sunflower seeds are of unsalted variety.
Thanks.

WillyWorm

Re: Sunflower husks

Post by WillyWorm » Sat May 02, 2020 7:41 am

Hi welcome to the world of worms. This question is like so many other worm questions. The answer is “yes but”. Sunflower husks can be used as a food or bedding for your worms now the BUT it will take an age to break down. Roasted husk will take longer than fresh. The same applies to peanut and other nut shells. If you have a garden compost bin pop them in there.
Good luck to your husband with the cigs it is a painful process but well thought it.
If you have any worm questions just ask somebody will help.

Stay safe
Willy

qwerty

Post by qwerty » Sat May 02, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi, thank you for a quick answer.
I do not have compost bin so I think I will let my local council collect and compost most of the husks. There are too many of them so will clog the wormery for ages.
What about grinding/soaking some of them and adding them as grit to aid worms' digestion, in similar way as egg shells advised in the leaflet? Would you think it is a good idea or shall I stick with crushed egg shells?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat May 02, 2020 8:41 pm

Hi, yea you could use a coffee grinder too reduce them to fine particles. The outcome could be use instead of eggshells as a form of grit to aid your worms “digest” their food. BUT (always a BUT) your worms will only use a spoonful of this a week. If you use husks for grit what will you do with your eggshells???

WillyWorm

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”