Wormery lid.

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Pete53
Wormery lid.

Post by Pete53 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Hi,
I’ve just started my wormery off and was wondering how tight or flush the lid should fit?
Thank you

Smallthings

Re: Wormery lid.

Post by Smallthings » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi Pete and welcome to the world of worms - just to say that the lid IS meant to let in air so it isn't flush. I thought it was meant to be a tight fit when I first got mine and couldn't figure out why the lid had those four little corner legs, but it's exactly so that it allows an air gap and doesn't meet the top edges of the tray all around. This does mean that some worms can (and probably will) escape at first, though - just one of those things! But there are various tips for dealing with that elsewhere on this forum depending on where your tray is sited. All the best (mine's about 18 months old now and I love it)

Pete53

Post by Pete53 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks for replying, I thought that would be the case I just wanted to be sure. I checked on them earlier and there were a few at the top of the sides and some underneath the lid so I placed a small led torch halfway underneath the lid, ten minutes later they had all gone to bed, I hope.
I’m using probably the smallest cable ties through the corner holes to keep the lid in place which seems to work well.

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi
That's why we put the holes in the corners so that you can tie the lid on if needed.
We get lots of emails from customers who expect the lid to be escape proof, but soon realise that the worms will stay in situ after the first few days

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”