Enclosing bin over night?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Deketh
Enclosing bin over night?

Post by Deketh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi all
I get a bit exasperated with worms escaping during the night, not a fan of seeing dried up worms on the floor. I'd like to put the bin in a binbag over night to prevent this, tying it up at the top, which would keep escapees from getting too far and dying on the way. But, would they suffocate in a closed bag like that? It would be opened during the day.
Thanks!

Lilwriggler

Re: Enclosing bin over night?

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:30 pm

You should be fine, willy will advise. I left a very small gap when i first started and they were fountaining out of that still first night. By leaving the garage light on Overnight they stayed put and settled down Much quicker, within 2 nights

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:23 pm

Hi Deketh, how long have you had the bin set up?
Provided you don’t tie the top of the bag too tight and open it the next day it should be ok.

If you have electric where you keep your worms then leaving a light on over night, directly over the bin if possible, Is the best solution to stop wandering.

A way to save escaped worms from drying out and you the trouble of herding them up every morning is to put a piece of wet corrugated cardboard or an old wet towel on the floor close to the bin, any escapees will head for it and get under it.

Willy

Deketh

Post by Deketh » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Thank you both.
I have been using a light and it's been pretty effective, I just don't love the waste of electricity however small! Plus the bin has developed a fungus gnat infestation so I'm not enjoying it being indoors at the mo. I was thinking of moving it outdoors and garaging it during rain, and having the binbag done up overnight to prevent escapes. I really like the wet towel/cardboard idea, I'll have to try that too!
Thanks again

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Your gnat infestation can be addressed by covering the surface of the bin with shredded paper or cardboard and always burying the food every time you feed your worms. If that dose not see them off then try zapping the food in a microwave for a few seconds before feeding.
Re electric and lights this will not be for long maybe a week and the worms habits will change, you could always try a couple of solar lights.
If you do put the worms outside cover the bin with a waterproof cover if rain threatens.

Good luck
Willy

Deketh

Post by Deketh » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:38 pm

Brilliant, thanks for the advice especially the gnats. Will give it a go!

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”