Extra trays

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Lilwriggler
Extra trays

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:34 pm

Here’s a question, how high can you go in one wormery? A standard pack is 4 trays, and i was wondering if i went upwards with a couple of extra trays for now rather than getting a second wormery given all the postal issues at the moment and a wife who gave a big frown to the suggestion of a second unit! I get that a second unit will double the output, but just wondering whether extra height will also help?

WillyWorm

Re: Extra trays

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:30 am

Hi, I have 5 trays on my Wormcity system and four on another system which is next to it. I find I can harvest a tray from each at the same time (normally one harvest a month which means the tray works for four months). I find I have empty trays waiting to be filled at times. I don’t know how much waste you get but I get waste from two other households + my own and only give the “best” of it to the worms, the rest goes to garden composting.
I think I read on here somewhere that Ronnie the MD and owner of Wormcity said 7 trays were about the maximum number, due to stability and weight on the base.
I think from experience given a choice I would buy a second system because the number of worms you can have in your bin is based on the surface area of the top tray, that’s why the Wormcity set up works so well because of its size.
Remember if you get a second unit you only need the housing, worms etc to start it will come from your first bin.

Stay safe
Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:34 am

I was thinking along those lines, which would make the transport less of a time critical issue. I assume transferring a partially broken down tray across with a few extra colleagues will mean escappees will be kept to a minimum!? I’m really tempted...... should i tell the wife.....

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:06 pm

If you move worms and bedding from one bin to the new one should result in less worms escaping, if you do it a few at a time it should be close to zero. Regarding how to tell the wife is up to you. You could tell her you got two bins from one 🙃Good luck

Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:45 pm

I did the deed, but didn’t tell the wife, when it arrives i will act all surprised........ i may have some more questions when it arrives!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:21 am

Good luck with the new bin and try ordering some PPE to protect your head and backside.

Have fun stay safe
Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:58 pm

I currently have 4 trays in my existing wormery(tray 4 is the oldest and most broken down, 3 is quite well broken down, 2 is my last feeding tray and decomposing, 1 is my current feeding tray).
When the new one arrives i am thinking of moving tray 3 across to the new wormery, but it is likely the population in there will be insufficient, perhaps if i also add a quarter of tray 2 to tray 3 that will be sufficient? I will then start a new feeding tray in this wormery.
Will be splitting ip sister, brothers, mothers and lovers, but can’t do too much about that!
What do you think?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:16 am

Which tray is not that important provided it’s tastes familiar to your worms. The number of worms you start with is important, aim for a minimum of five hundred worms, that maybe nearly half your current population. This will get your bin off to a good start and both bins should be up to full working population in a month or two.
One other trick to use when you get your new bin is to take a handful of castings from your first bin or a handful of garden soil. Put it in a bucket and add water, you can do this now in preparation, when the new bin arrives stir your bucket the “paint” the inside of your nice new clean bin with muddy water and leave to dry. Worms don’t like clean sterile places an and will settle quicker if you do this.

Good luck, look forward to the next up date, maybe we will hear more about your wife’s reaction!!

Be safe
Willy
Please support the NHS to get the PPE they need.

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:18 pm

New wormery has arrived, so excited. I am now thinking of splitting my 2 tray in half where most of the population resides. Half in the old wormery, half in the new to hopefully have two viable populations. Will have a bottom tray in each and a feeding tray in each.

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:08 pm

They are in their new home, hopefully getting comfortable, found a few stragglers under the bins from previous nights rain....

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”