Creatures of habit

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Smallthings
Creatures of habit

Post by Smallthings » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Had my herd for over a year now and have always used the four corner technique for feeding, always in the same direction and at fairly regular intervals. I've just started noticing that when I'm about to put the next feed in to its designated corner, there seems to be a small gathering of worms already there, in that specific corner, almost as if they're waiting! I've gathered that they are creatures of habit and take a while to adjust to change, so I wondered if by getting them accustomed to this feeding regime they have naturally started to move round the bin in the same direction as they are expecting to be fed - almost as if they are predicting the pattern. Interested to know if anyone else has found this or noticed similar evidence of a sort of 'learned behaviour' with their herd?!

Lilwriggler

Re: Creatures of habit

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:03 pm

Whilst i am normally a creature of habit i lack the patience with my herd so often have hamster droppings/leftover food ready before a corner is empty so just get on with it! Do you also rotate the food type in your corners i.e. do they have a favourite food? Happy christmas!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Happy Christmas.
There is often a surplus of food, for our worms, at this time of year and it is tempting to feed extra. The problem is that your worms slow down in all aspects of their life, they eat less, make fewer babies and produce less castings. It is important to monitor food consumption and adjust the amount you provide.
Surplus worm food can be stored and fed later, freezers normally have some available space after Christmas which is perfect for the storage of kitchen scrapes in. I place spoonfuls of scraps on a tray to freeze then bag them up for storage, I can then take one or two blocks out at a time when needed. Your hamster bedding could be stored in a bucket with a lid for some time, if you add a little garden soil this will start a pre-composting process of the bedding helping it to break down faster in the worm tray.

I like to feed a wide variety of food items to the worms but I do not follow any strict rotation.

All the best
Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks willy, merry christmas! I am actually not adding the hamster bedding at the moment, doing a tray without it. I’m away so gave them a little bit more whilst they are looking after themselves!

EssayUK

Post by EssayUK » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:00 pm

Students can find many online service providers that offer limited topics services. These are partially qualified writers and cannot write effectively as a qualified and professional writer can do. We provide you with the services of expert essay writers to avail of an opportunity of experiencing professional essay writing. Skills, knowledge, and experience of these writers enable them to prepare a custom essay writing paper resulting in 0% plagiarism.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:34 pm

I’m sure mechanical engineering will be very useful to worm keeping grrrr

Jahmas

Post by Jahmas » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:48 am

Good to read your post it is really informative and amazing for me, I am a writer from coursework writing service UK and sometimes I seek this kind of content which is helpful and increased my knowledge more so as I write new ideas when I have any writing task.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”