Why is the sky so high?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Greyworm
Why is the sky so high?

Post by Greyworm » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:38 am

Only 3 days in, I know, but I am starting to observe a pattern.

During the day time, worms remain in their new home, no attempted escapes.

Night time, about ten to twenty escapes (discovered first thing in the morning).

Are worms nocturnal? if they are, how come? It's always dark underground.

The weather here has been wet and raining both day and night so if they were coming up purely out of fear of flooding wouldn't that happen during they day (as it does in the garden)?

On a completely different topic...the powdered food that came with the worms, I put a handful in as per the instructions and I will put a further handful in next weekend but this will hardly make a dent in the plastic bag of food. Are my handfuls too small? Should I have so much left? Should I continue to feed this once I start on kitchen waste? Or just use it to alternate what I'm feeding them?

Sorry for all the questions, there are bound to be more lol.

Cheers,
Greyworm

WillyWorm

Re: Why is the sky so high?

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi questions are never a problem.
Worms hate the light and will try to avoid it as much as possible. worm farmers that’s us, can use this dislike of light to control our worms. Put a light on at night and very few worms will leave the tray, when you harvest your castings you can use a light to get the worms to move vacate the top layer before removing/using the castings. So what you are observing is fact and can help you control your herd.
Ronnie is a very generous lady, she gives more worms that is stated to allow for casualties and more food than stated incase you run short of kitchen waste in the first few weeks. Use this food as you wish, alternative days, mixed with kitchen waste, feed it until it’s gone (most worm dealers use nothing else but dried food) or as I did keep it for emergencies such as the day you return from a trip and have nothing for the herd.

Keep up the good work
Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:16 pm

I still have food from the original delivery. I find a nice piece of cardboard as a multipurpose cover/protection/food source/moisture regulator in my top tray, very satisfying as they steadily break it down. I worry that i overfeed some times, doing four corners plus cardboard and now some leaf litter as insulation/drying agent, but keeping a close eye on it and close nose. They seem happy for now, but will have to cut back a bit in winter.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:24 am

Hi Wriggler, no need to worry it’s not possible to over feed on ‘browns’ i.e paper, cardboard leave litter. It’s over feeding of ‘greens’ which is the problem and can lead to anaerobic smelly conditions. In fact many problems in a bin can be overcome by adding more browns. Please continue to add browns to produce health worms and a health non smelling bin particularly in winter when the worms stop eating as much greens when it’s cold.

Willy

Greyworm

Post by Greyworm » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:41 pm

Hi WW,

Thanks for the reply, lots of good info for which I'm grateful.

Last night it was really tipping it down with rain and I went to check things just before bed. I had clearly thwarted the Great Escape. There were 50 or so worms in the roof between the covering cardboard and the roof itself all lined up behind a worm that was half out the wormery. Some bright light had them all running for cover.

This morning, only one worm on the outside of the roof with his sunglasses on, was put back where he belongs. Nothing in the bin bag.

I think I'm getting the idea of the moisture levels and how to control them, so all good and all thanks to this forum.

Cheers,
Greyworm

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Glad things are working out so well for you.

Willy

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Why is the sky so high?

I thought this was going to be one of those really 'Deep' questions about life the universe and everything.
Fortunately, the wonderful willyworm can answer such questions :D :D :D

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:36 pm

If it had been about the universe I would of been straight on to you Ronnie. I’m a down to earth guy lol

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”