Curry and spicy food

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Greyworm
Curry and spicy food

Post by Greyworm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:26 am

Hi,
My first post and I'm hoping to buy a wormery in the next few days. I have a question about spicy foods, can the worms eat them? My partner is Asian and makes the most wonderful spicy food (as well as western food) would I have to separate out the spicy items from non-spicy? Also I see bones are in the prohibited list...in things like chicken and fish it would be easy to miss little bones, is this a problem?

Thanks,
Greyworm

Smallthings

Re: Curry and spicy food

Post by Smallthings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:09 pm

Hi Greyworm, I've only been worm-farming for just over a year now but have read from many different sources that spicy foods / onions/garlic etc. (also citrus) are best avoided as they can irritate the worms' sensitive skins (also salty, starchy and oily foods not good) so I'm thinking that you probably should take care over what you put in from what you mention. A veggie household here so no experience with chicken or fish / bones, but I think any form of meat in a worm bin may be problematic if it risks attracting unwanted pests / causing unpleasant smells - not sure what the general consensus is on chicken/fish generally though. However my herd seem very happy with just a raw veg and fruit diet (with occasional oats!) so perhaps yours would do well on all your leftover peelings etc. before any seasoning is added or cooked into a delicious Asian meal! I'm sure other more experienced forum members can provide more advice but just wanted to reply based on my own worms and research - all the best with the wormery if you get one (it's great fun!)

Greyworm

Post by Greyworm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:56 am

Hi Smallthings, and thanks for the reply. It won't be too much of a problem to avoid the spicy meats as we have two caddies, one for cooked meat and bones etc. and one for uncooked veggies and green material. The division was set up for my garden compost heap. It does suggest on the website that meat is ok but not bones which can be a problem to sort out.

I have now ordered a 125l wormery and it arrives in a week's time (next Friday). A bit of a shame is that it's raining all of next week so will probably increase the difficulty level of starting a new wormery. I will probably avoid meats until the whole thing is set up and running normally some months down the line.

I'm really excited about their arrival and just hope we don't have worms escaping everywhere in the first few weeks otherwise she who must be obeyed will not be happy!

The combined knowledge on this forum is amazing, so I will be popping in regularly for help and advice.

Thanks again,
Greyworm

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:03 am

Hi Greyworm, Smallthings is right about the worms skin and the effects of spices on it, for this reason worms will avoid spicy food onions and citrus until the microbes have broken it down. The problem is not the food items but the lack of space in our worm bins for them to get away and continue their normal activities while the microbes do their bit. The solution if our partner makes to much is to sent some to me, I will soon take care of it.
A few small bones is not a problem and should disappear but larger bones won’t. I have put bones in my bin but when the casting are ready to use I’ve had to remove them.
I hope you enjoy your herd when it arrives, don’t be too experimental with their food to start with.

WillyWorm

Greyworm

Post by Greyworm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:37 am

Willyworm,

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I will keep them on small amounts of chopped veg when I first start feeding them properly and try the 4 corners idea but from what I've read so far it looks like I can expect a slow start with the changes towards cooler weather and more rain. In terms of bones I was thinking of 2cm or smaller rather than chew bones for dogs, so I'm guessing these will be ok.

With heavy rain forecast for my set-up day (and days after) are there any precautions I can take to start the worms off with the least amount of stress/escaping?

Thanks,
Greyworm

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Sadly not a lot you can do it you can’t get them inside. I would try to remove the “newness” of the bin by taking some compost from your outside compost bin, mix with water and paint the inside of the first tray you are going to use. Use any remaining muddy water to wet the new bedding. Try to do this 24 hour or so before introducing your worms. I would place my worm bin inside a black bag to collect any escapees and put a plastic sheet over the top to prevent everything getting too wet. With outdoor worm bins rain is enemy one, there are gaps around the sides of the trays which a vital for the health of your worms (air supply) and the working of the bin (allowing the trays to settle) but they can let a lot of water in.
Worms like lots of other animals seem to have some sort of “homing instinct” and this result in them trying to return to where they come from when they are moved. Some say it’s not until you get your second generation that they truly settle down.
I find the muddy water thing a big help so please try that.

Willy

Greyworm

Post by Greyworm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi Willyworm, that's brilliant, thanks very much. Just one other question, if I am to set up the bin 24hrs in advance, this will mean that the worms will have to spend an extra day in their package before being released. Is this a problem?

Thanks,
Greyworm

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:37 pm

It will but your worms will be fine for up to 10 days in the packaging just keeps them in shady, cool but not cold place

Greyworm

Post by Greyworm » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi Willyworm, Wow, ok, a lot longer than I imagined. I have a shady/cool place that won't be a problem.

I will make sure the walls of the bin have a good layer of dried goop on them. I have also realised there is a place in the garden (near the kitchen) where they can shelter from the rain. It won't stop sideways rain, but it will stop the stuff that comes down straight.

Thanks,
Greyworm

elenapatrick

Post by elenapatrick » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:47 am

Yes, there is a problem with me. I took the CBD Sleep Tincture since it has such fantastic effects and my health is now good, but I didn't recognize it at the time because my health conditions are really hard for others to grasp. I want to work on something else and consider what you have to say about it.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”