What grit can I use other than ground egg shells?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
lrparsnip
What grit can I use other than ground egg shells?

Post by lrparsnip » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:09 pm

Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I've been vermicomposting since April and everything has been going wonderfully.
I just put the second layer on my bin yesterday and have plenty of cocoons and have spotted a few baby worms too.

I would like to add a little grit with each feeding to help the worms along a little, but living in a vegan household, we have no egg shells to grind up. What could I use instead? I know that adding grit isn't essential but, as I say, I want to make life easier for my little guys and maybe even speed up the chomping a bit.

Thank you in advance,
Louise

WillyWorm

Re: What grit can I use other than ground egg shells?

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:52 pm

Hi, well done on a great start to worming.

You could use “budgie sand” from the pet shop or a small amount of ordinary soil from the garden. What ever you use you don’t need much and only occasionally particularly if you use soil. A teaspoonful or two, once a month should meet the worms needs. Basically once grit is added to the tray then it is there for ever and can be reused by the worms.

Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:55 pm

A quick PS you could try finely ground nut shells and some people claim coffee grounds work as well.

Will

lrparsnip

Post by lrparsnip » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:54 am

Thank you, Willy. That's really helpful advice.
I do occasionally give my guys coffee grounds - it hadn't occured to me that this would be a source of grit for them.

I have invested in a small bag of budgie sand too. I had budgies as a kid so that brought back some nice memories!

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”