What did you feed your worms today?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Smallthings
Re: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by Smallthings » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:00 am

Finely chopped mixed vegetables and banana skin with a side salad, apple purée and teabag sprinkles, all served on a bed of shredded cardboard! (Almost) good enough to eat myself. I'm amazed at how much my little herd's appetite has increased since this mild spell of weather has returned. It's made a real difference after some recent cold days/nights when they just wanted to stay in bed.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 pm

Sounds a great diet no wonder they are eating well. You are so right about appetite returning with the return of the milder weather but we must be ready to cut back on their food when the cold weather returns.

Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:58 pm

I gave mine some leftover cooked barley, interested how they get on with it, will check later!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 am

They should be fine with that but don’t feed to much at once as, like all grain based items it can go anaerobic very quickly.
Please let us all know how you get on.

Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 am

They should be fine with that but don’t feed to much at once as, like all grain based items it can go anaerobic very quickly.
Please let us all know how you get on.

Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Smelt fine and I gave it a bit of a mix so that it wasn’t clumpy. Feeding four corners so they should have space to escape if they are not happy!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:49 am

They will be fine, I often feed grain products with no problem but it is worth keeping a eye on things.

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:07 pm

I have some old breakfast cereals, treat them like grain?little at a time or mix with other bits?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:50 am

Hi, you can do either. I keep some to use on days when I have nothing else for them, such as the day when I return from a trip.

Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:22 pm

I have one corner which the worms are going crazy for, but I can’t for the life of me recall what I put there..... going the trusty banana skin route tonight. We have just got a hamster, so bedding material and wood shavings will be my new carbon source,replacing the shredded paper( annoyed when I found a shredded window envelope in my wormer, I don’t want plastic in there....) any issue with soft wood shavings? Can’t imagine any..

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”