Leachate friend or foe

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Dynamo
Re: Leachate friend or foe

Post by Dynamo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:45 pm

I'd never heard it called leachate until I came to this forum. Like you though I put it on my plants with no bad effects as far as I'm aware.

klompie

Post by klompie » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:29 pm

I've used it on my plants both indoors and in the garden but much more diluted and with very good results. But only use it when absolutely no smell and collected almost as soon as it's produced. I seem to have very small amounts of liquid but it totally depends on what I put in as wormfood.
I have just planted up a couple of hanging baskets and added the usual plantfood to one and will use diluted lecheate for the other. They both contain the same plants and compost from the same bag. They both hang near a south facing frontdoor. Hopefully I'll see a difference...

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:03 pm

It will be interesting to see the results...
Have you taken a photograph of them side by side?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Looking forward to the outcome. I have never doubted leachate does contain lots of goodness but I think it needs to be used with care.
Willy

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 am

I moved my bins inside last winter and they’ve been there ever since. I’ve since started doing what George Pilkington does and put the leachate back in the bin. I put shredded paper and card in the top layer to absorb some of this and leave the lid off like Wormy Wormerson now the weather’s warm to help it evaporate a bit. Then, periodically, I transfer some of the damper sheeddings to the layer below where I add the food, and more shredded paper/card to the top and repeat. The worms are doing very well 🙂 and eating like champions right now. Can’t keep up with them!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Sounds like a good way to use your leachate.

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”