Wads of wet paper

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
klompie
Wads of wet paper

Post by klompie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:24 am

I keep finding the paper and cardboard I add when necessary, back in clumps of soggyness. How do I prevent that? I add the paper shredded small and sprinkle over or through. They also seem to take ages to disappear.  My bin seems about right, not too wet or too dry, worms plenty, shiny and growing..so what goes wrong there?

WillyWorm

RE: Wads of wet paper

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:48 pm

Hi klompie. Not sure how long your bin as been set up but it can take a long while for paper and cardboard to breakdown to start with (first three or four months)
You said you shred you paper and cardboard, do you wet it? Once your bin is set up you don't need to wet the bedding. The veg and fruit waste we feed our worms is made up of 90% water and dry bedding is needed to absorb that moisture. Over wet bedding is very slow to breakdown. The best test for the correct moisture level is to take a fistful of bedding and squeeze it as hard as you can, if two or more drips of water comes out then your bedding is definitely too wet, if only one drip comes out then it may be too wet or just right. The best way to add paper or cardboard is to put it on top of the food when you feed your herd, this will also help prevent fruit fly.
If your worms are looking bright and health there can't be much wrong in your bin so well done so far.

Please keep us up dated and just ask if we can help

All the best
Will

WiggleWiggleWiggle

Post by WiggleWiggleWiggle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:44 pm

klompie wrote: I keep finding the paper and cardboard I add when necessary, back in clumps of soggyness. How do I prevent that? I add the paper shredded small and sprinkle over or through. They also seem to take ages to disappear.  My bin seems about right, not too wet or too dry, worms plenty, shiny and growing..so what goes wrong there?
I think it's in the nature of paper to go clumpy once it's damp. Mine does the same, probably just from the action of worms moving around past the paper to get to the tastier bits of food. Sometimes when I go in to feed I just break the clumps up with my fingers to even things out and let more air in. But if it seems too wet then you'll need to add more dry paper or cardboard and/or do what you can to stop rain getting in. You don't want all the paper disappearing until at least 3 months has passed and it's castings harvest time.

klompie

Post by klompie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Willy and Wiggle. I started my bin about 4 weeks ago, so it's good to know this is normal. No I haven't added water or wetted paper, just dry. I've been breaking up clumps as you adviced. And they're in an outhouse so no rain coming in. I'll just keep an eye on sogginess and stop worrying!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Relax and enjoy your herd ;) your doing well

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”