Setting up another worrmery

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
qwerty
Setting up another worrmery

Post by qwerty » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:17 pm

My first wormery is such a success that I will get another one. This time just a housing, to save on costs.

How do I seed it with worms? I was thinking about moving one tray from my established one. Is this a good idea? If yes, which tray should I move, the top one, the one below? I have three tray setup for now and all trays are full. I will get 5 trays one and aim to have two 4 tray ones in the end.

Lilwriggler

Re: Setting up another worrmery

Post by Lilwriggler » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:26 pm

I did exactly the same last spring actually, although i will be interested what Willy advises. I think i moved the the tray below the feeding tray across and whilst my old wormeries’ population has bounced right back to previous levels, my new wormery has fewer worms in comparison, although still a workable number. I would say however that both wormeries are in a very good state and i have 3 trays ready to harvest in the spring! Good luck!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:20 am

There is not problem in “seeding” a new bin. It is very important to ensure you transfer some bedding and castings from the old bin to the new one so the worms feel right at home from the start. Try to take a minimum of 500 worms or more to the new bin to get it established quickly. You can take the second tray down from your first bin provided there is a good population of worms left in it. If doing this then start a new tray on top immediately,
Well done on your success so far.
Willy

qwerty

Post by qwerty » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:07 pm

Thank you so much for your tips.

Second tray sounds good enough. I do not fancy touching the feeding tray so rather move a whole tray than dig worms and castings from the top.

Thanks once again :)

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:15 pm

Sounds like a plan. Please keep us updated.

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”