Feeding Worms

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Geeorjah
Feeding Worms

Post by Geeorjah » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:51 pm

Hi all,

I am brand new to the wormie world and me and my 4 year old are absolutely loving our new friends.
I have looked EVERYWHERE for more information on this - we have piles and pikes of horse poo available and, although I know slightly aged manure can be fed to our mates, we cannot 100% guarantee that there is no herbicide in it. Will this harm our worms? :cry: we haven't given any to them yet, but would love to be able to.

WillyWorm

Re: Feeding Worms

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:52 am

Good morning, welcome to the forum. Aged manure makes fabulous food for you herd in fact well aged manure can replace both food and bedding in your worm bin but I think using it in this way would remove a lot of the fun and a lot of the educational opportunities vermicomposting offers.

Ageing manure will remove any threat from herbicides or insecticides. If you see worms in the mature pile then it is safe to assume you can use the manure regardless.

Herbicides offer more of a threat from the worm castings to your plants in the garden than your worms. Apart from ageing the manure for 6 months or more there is no way to tell if it is safe. You could set up a trial with some worm castings or manure mixed with soil in a flower pot and seeing if some radish seeds will grow if they grow then all should be fine.

Insecticides, particularly those in horse worming products can kill your worms. The good news is that these only remain active for a short while normally 3 or 4 weeks.

Hope that helps
Willy

Geeorjah

Post by Geeorjah » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:21 pm

It does, thanks a million for taking the time to reply!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:46 pm

You are very welcome. Just shout if I can help at any time 🙃🙃

mark D

Post by mark D » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:29 pm

Hi

Just new to the Worm World and have a few questions

Bread - I read that the worms love bread - I have put in a few slices of white but they dont appear to have touched it and the bread has gone green and powdery - should I be concerned / should I remove the bread ??

Veg scraps - they seem to be tucking in to the veg and fruits scraps I am giving them - I have read on the internet that the scraps should be rotting but not too much - what do you long term wormers do ?? add straight away or let the scraps rot a bit before adding them ??

I know that there are a few fruits that are not advised to add - citrus etc. what about grapes ??

thanks in advance for your advice

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:53 pm

From memory bread isn’t great, it is best added in winter to generate a bit of heat as it decomposes if your bin is getting too cold, but i dont use bread, i think there are other reasons around limiting bread. Grapes are fine and fresh scraps are absolutely fine too as they will start to break down within a week or so. Chopped up helps in this process. My worms love cucumber peelings and banana skins. I put 2 half apples in one corner, not chopped and it has taken the worms about a month to break them down, although would be quicker in summer

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:40 am

Good morning Mark. Welcome to the world of worms. Bread is fine for worms if fed in moderation, I would not feed more an half a slice on a well established bin. If your bread is starting to rot then get it out and put it in the rubbish bin ASAP. The problem with Brad is that it will start to rot quickly and this can result in your bin become anaerobic (without oxygen) which will result in a very slimy and smelly bin and your worms dying. A safer way to use bread is to dry is in the bottom of the oven and grinding it down to bread crumbs and use this a little at a time (a level tablespoonful maybe)

Nothing should be rotting when you put it in your bin because it can easily result in anaerobic conditions in your bin. The food you give your worms need not be fresh from the supermarket, it can be way past its best but not rotting. Yes they love grapes.

Hope that helps please keep us updated
Willy

mark D

Post by mark D » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:12 am

Thanks for the advice - I removed all the bread I could find - think it must have had an adverse effect as found quite a few dead worms etc - I have put in a layer of shredded cardboard / egg boxes at the top and intend not feeding for o week to try and stablize the bin before re introducing feeding in each corner in rotation - any other advice would be welcome as I am really keen on making this a success

PS- whats your views on putting potato / carrots peelings through a blender before adding to the bin - seen a few youtube clps that suggest its a good thing to do ??
#

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:19 am

Hi, All grain and grain products are prone to heating up and going anaerobic very quickly, for this reason they should be fed sparingly and checked regularly. With bread feed less than half a slice at a time to a bin and remove if not eaten within 24hours.

Have “fluffed” up the bedding to get some air/oxygen into it. It may take two or three weeks to get your bin back in good order, don’t worry it will be ok. If you can “fluff the bedding two or three times during the first week it will help a lot.

All root veg are slow to breakdown. So grating or putting them in a food processor is a good idea. Like wise you could freeze or microwave them which makes them easier for the worms to consume.

Keep up the good work.
Call any time
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”