Winter

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Daisybloomer
Winter

Post by Daisybloomer » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:17 pm

My worms are thriving but now the temperature is getting colder, will they hibernate? I don’t have a shed or garage so will need to cover the wormery, any suggestions? Perhaps a waterproof blanket like an old horse coat?
Thanks

Lilwriggler

Re: Winter

Post by Lilwriggler » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:43 pm

You will still need to feed them, but less often, they don’t hibernate, just slow down a bit. It is good to cover them to prevent rain getting in and insulate around the wormery to ensure it doesn’t get too cold (i.e. risk of them freezing). I wrap around the wormery with some old carpet, but i also have them in the garage. I got my second wormery this year so now the carpet isn’t big enough for both so i am trying to come up with a solution. I am also adding a bit more shredded paper in my top feeding tray to help insulate and keep them all snug. I am sure Willy will give some more comprehensive information.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:02 am

If you add more bedding to the top feeding tray add it dry if you wet it you will lose it’s insulation qualities.

With a roll of duck tape and a yard or so of bubble wrap you can make a waterproof insulated jacket for your worm bin, be sure to make it big enough to slip on and off easily over the top of your bin. If it gets very cold add more insulation.

Lilwriggler is spot on regarding feeding and the need to avoid your bin becoming frozen. If your bin is outside then you must accept that it’s about helping your worms survive for the winter, to thrive they need a temperature of 15 to 25 degrees.

Try to keep your bin in a sheltered, sunny position. Try to find a place where your bin will be sheltered from the rain.

You could consider an insurance bin. Minimum size a 2 litre ice cream box. Make a number of small holes in the lid place some bedding from your main bin and a few worms (about twenty) fill loosely with more bedding. If possible take in to the house and keep in a cool place, if not dig a hole in the garden (about a foot deep min) and bury. A bin like this if set up with the correct level of moisture and kept in a cool room or buried won’t need any attention till spring.

Worms will start to die if their bedding drops below 5 degrees but worm cocoons (eggs) will remain viable and ready to hatch when the temperature rises so if things should get bad just wait and your bin may well bounce back to life.

Willy

WormeryRich

Post by WormeryRich » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:39 pm

My wormery is protected from the elements on two sides by our garden fence and solid wood gate. Also, next to the wormery is a wheelie bin on another side which gives some additional shelter. I have made a 'sleeve' from large bubble wrap which is taped together with packing tape and covers the whole bin. I have a waterproof cover over the top of the bin and bubble wrap sleeve. Do you think this will be sufficient to keep my worms alive through the winter or would it be better to move into our garage and incur the wrath if my wife?

Would you consider a soil thermometer a good investment. In reality I have no idea what the temperature of the bedding is.

Thank you in advance.

Richard

qwerty

Post by qwerty » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:04 pm

I have a similar problem, wormery outside. Decided to order small (49 x 69 x 130 cm) PVC grenhouse and set it up over the wormery, plus lined it inside (sides and back) with old carpet. During assembly I left the opening unobstructed by skipping a few poles.
So far so good, worms safe from elements and easy access for feeding and draining the sump thanks to zipped doors.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:58 am

Great idea but make sure it’s well anchored down because if it blows away it could take your worms with it.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”