Starting a new tray - no worm juice yet?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
leowoodscott
Starting a new tray - no worm juice yet?

Post by leowoodscott » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:13 am

Hello!
I have a couple of questions. I have a seemingly happy wormery which I started in July - the worms seem pretty happy, and Im not overfeeding (approx a half food caddy per week with a mix of veg and fruit scraps and newspaper/egg shells/egg cartons and a few flower and garden cuttings).
However I don't yet have any worm juice. Is that normal?
Secondly I think I have about finished my first tray - how do I effectively and simply start a new tray?
Many thanks in advance for any tips!
Leo

WillyWorm

Re: Starting a new tray - no worm juice yet?

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:19 pm

Hi well done sounds like your off to a great start with your worms.

Although it’s called “worm juice” it’s really got little to do with your worms!!! You can/could get this liquid without having any worms in the bin, the amount you get and how quickly you get it depends on how wet the food is that you feed. I try to avoid “leaches” (that’s the correct name for this liquid) preferring to keep the goodness in the casting. Some say leaches is good plant food if diluted 1 part to 10 of water. Other say it is a potentially dangerous product of anaerobic decomposition in your worm bin. This is the view of George Pilkington in his book “Composting with Worms”. He says to put it into an outside compost bin.

If you bins been running for a while now is a good time to add another tray. Simply put a new tray on top of the existing one. Place some bedding material in the bottom and a little food in one corner, cover the food with more bedding, the worms will move up to the new food supply, this may take a few days maybe a week but when they do appear start to feed as before.

Hope that helps
Willy

leowoodscott

Post by leowoodscott » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:10 am

Thank you Willy - how interesting, I assumed the worm juice was the desired output!
Ill start the second tray soon. Thanks so much, Leo

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:13 am

Good luck with the new tray. If you have time please keep us updated.

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”