RELOCATING THE WORMERY

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
qwerty
RELOCATING THE WORMERY

Post by qwerty » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:19 pm

My wormery is going to be relocated.
Short trip, few miles but still a journey.
I wonder how to approach this task. Can I split the wormery in segments and place each one in a bag or shall I aim for keeping the whole thing intact during transport?
How the worms will react to being moved and disrupted? Shall I expect another exodus or they will not mind as long as they have steady supply of food and are left in peace once in new place?
If anyone here have an experience with wormy travel I will be grateful if you share it :)

WillyWorm

Re: RELOCATING THE WORMERY

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:10 am

Hi, I would give the herd their normal feed, then brake everything down to individual units with the worms, bedding and castings in place. Put them in black bags, and transport to where ever. When you get to the new location reassemble the units in the same order as they were as soon as possible. Do not fed for a day or so (I order to reduce any disturbance) your worms should settle quickly. Because they are being move on block in their own housing I would not expect them to start wandering.

Hope the move goes well, I would be interested to know if you have any problems.

Willy

qwerty

Post by qwerty » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:34 pm

Done. We managed to keep the wormery intact during transport to minimise disruption. I call it a success, worms are doing well and mostly stay inside. Thanks for all the tips :)

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:04 pm

Thanks for the update, glade all went well. All the best for Christmas
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”