Holiday preparation

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Lilwriggler
Holiday preparation

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:55 pm

I am off for 3 weeks and am wondering how best to prep my 2 herds. I am think of moving them into the garage whilst i’m away as there temperature will be more regulated and the rain won’t get in, but i am wondering about how to feed them. Put a bit extra in 4 corners, or mix the feed by putting a couple of say half bananas or old apples so they take a good while to break down and hence keep the herd sustained. I also have the feed which came originally which i can sprinkle a bit over a tray or two. What do you advise?

WillyWorm

Re: Holiday preparation

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:16 am

Hi yea move them into the garage for all the reasons you suggest.
Your worms will happily go for six weeks without any extra food, putting more food in you run the risk of it going anaerobic while you are away, likewise any food that contains grains, like your dry food, can overheat.
If I’m going away I include a little food, as n part of the normal portion size, of slow to breakdown food like raw potato or carrot, not too much just a little plus I fill the top tray with shredded corrugated cardboard, this acts as bedding and food and won’t go anaerobic. A large proportion of what we put in the worm bin and call bedding is used by the worms for food and corrugated card is good because the glue is a vegetable glue and a good food source.
Just give them a small feed of the dry food the day you return and all will be welL.

Have a good holiday
Willy

heltonexpert

Post by heltonexpert » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:22 pm

I think you are on the right track. Your preparations are more than enough just keep in mind regarding the garage space and you don't leave anything that could hurt them. For instant recommendations, you can visit assignment help UK as they have written many posts on how to manage your pet while going for long holidays.

camilahenry

Post by camilahenry » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:11 am

I need help regarding worm feed:
I usually feed them Green and Brown and it divided everything in equal portion. Here what i give them in green and brown.

Greens: Vegetable and fruit scraps, bread, pasta, coffee grounds and filters, teabags, dead plant matter from houseplants

Browns: Paper, junk mail, paper egg cartons, cardboard, dry leaves. and I also order worm feed through https://www.couponcodify.com/ but I don' know when to give them and how to give them.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:36 am

Your worms diet sounds ideal, sorry I’m not sure what you are referring to when you say “don’t know what and how to give it to them”
If you mean while you are on holiday then you need not worry too much your worms will be fine for six weeks or more living on what is in the bin.
If you are leaving them for a just two or three weeks, no problem, give them their normal feed, that’s their normal food/bedding and the normal proportion. Finally top the tray up to the top with dry brown material. Don’t be tempted to give extra food they don’t need it and it could result in problems.
If you are going away for longer than six weeks then you could add a little extra root vegetable (potato, carrot etc) but not to much. This will break down slowly and will be available to the worms in the long term.

If I have picked you up wrong or not given you the answer you needed please let me know and I will try again.

Willy

mchvadams

Post by mchvadams » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:23 am

It was easter yesterday. I was so happy that I wanted to gift my husband a surprise gift. I bought

Code: Select all

pelle pelle quilted vest with hood
in gray color. I was super excited because my husband is a big fan of pelle pelle. He gave me pixie skincare products and some scented candles. I am a big fan of holidays and festivals.

tiyalford

Post by tiyalford » Mon May 09, 2022 7:43 am

Really? That sounds cool, but why this particular choice? It doesn't matter, though, when you surprise someone, you have to put your heart and soul into it, which you did. I'm happy for you.

angelajimmenez

Post by angelajimmenez » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:06 am

Sounds great! It piques the reader's interest and informs them of what to expect.
Attachments
student-writing-id843529954-FFP1801.jpg
https://paperhelp.nyc/
student-writing-id843529954-FFP1801.jpg (35.76KiB)Viewed 19965 times

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”