Wet and claggy

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
WillyWorm
Re: Wet and claggy

Post by WillyWorm » Wed May 27, 2020 7:17 am

Thanks for the update glad to hear things are on the up. You could contact Ronnie at Wormcity about the lid.

Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:10 pm

Just an update, looking good at the moment, still loosing the odd worm, but not seeing any bloated ones, today i didn’t See any Large worms in the sump which Is unusual.

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Quick question on egg shells, should it be like a powder or just small bits, i.e. am i feeding my worms the equivalent of glass. Did i read before that a sharp sand is an alternative?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:05 am

Hi, I reduce my egg shells to a powder and use about a spoonful a month. Don’t over do the egg shell because they contain lime and can change the PH of the bin, and your worms won’t like it if it becomes too alkaline. Egg shell dose provide the small amount of calcium the worms may need and are gritty enough to be used in the worms gizzards to grind up soft food your worms may eat.
Budgies sand (used or fresh) can be used, and most contain a small amount of ground up shell which will provide the calcium.
If it is just for the gizzards then apparently used coffee grounds are all that is required.

Hope that helps
Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:53 pm

Without wishing to cause bad luck, since i added the spent compost to my bottom trays and stored the wormeries in the garage, it seems to have solved the problem and my worms are much happier and rarely venture into the sump. One tray, of three, is now ready to harvest and i will add a new tray at the same time. In my second wormEry the bottom tray is also ready but as i only have two levels, and fewer worms i will add a tray and not harvest just yet. Much happier worms!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:25 am

Thanks again for the latest update. Glad to hear things are going well. Congratulations on a job well done.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”