Newspaper shredded or otherwise

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Wormnewbie
Newspaper shredded or otherwise

Post by Wormnewbie » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:10 am

Having just received my wormery...very exciting...and following the set up instructions am a tad confused. The video shows sheets of damp newspaper covering the worms, where as the leaflet says 2 inches of shredded paper? So which is it. Or is it both? I put the worm tray in a bin bag last night but some worms still managed to find their way out of that and ended up in the lid. I have removed this as I assume they won't try and escape during the day but will put them back in a bag tonight. Hopefully, I've not lost too many. .

Lilwriggler

Re: Newspaper shredded or otherwise

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:16 pm

I would suggest you can use either, shredded is probably better, but i put cardboard in my top tray in largish pieces and they love that. You will get some escappees, but they don’t like the light so during daylight, and if you leave the garage light on for a night or two it should limit escapees! Good luck and have fun

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:58 pm

Hi I think the confusion maybe regarding the start-up of a new bin (which is what you are doing)
To start cut or fold two or three sheets of newspaper to fit snugly in the bottom of the bottom tray (you use cloth and remove it after a month or so) you then put two inches of your chosen, damp, bedding on top of this. This will help deter the worms going down into the sump. Then add your worms. To reduce the number of escapees add a couple of spoonfuls of garden compost or soil. But you will inevitably find worms may try to escape for a month or two, There is research going on which is indicating that worms moved from one place to another don’t fully settle but the next generation do.
Leaving a light on over the bin will deter the wondering, if the bin is in a shed or garage then some damp cardboard near the bin will attract the escapees and make it easy to return them next morning. If the bin is outside then the black bag is best.

Stay safe
Willy

Wormnewbie

Post by Wormnewbie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:42 pm

Thanks. I put the tray with worms in a bin bag the first night and quite a few found their way out into the bag (and also found some holes in the bag). Last night I put the whole wormery in a large mountaineering survival bag but left the top open. My husband seemed to think that if I taped it shut they would suffocate! Only a couple seemed to wander into the wormery lid last night..either that or they have all fled and are laughing at me from the other side of the garden! I don't have a garage but could move them into my shed with the light on for a couple of nights

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:26 pm

Yes the shed and light may be worth a try. We all panic at the thought of losing our worms to start with, it’s best to think of it as liberating them back to nature. The second generation of worms are much easier to manage and by then the young delinquents with which you were supplied will have grown up into mature sensible compost producing little helpers.
Starting on this worm keeping venture requires you to have lots of determination and self belief, to start with everything is against you. The worms you are sent are the unruly one never the cooperative ones, worms hate clean sterile places and your nice shiny bin is clean and sterile, they like the same tastes and smells, we change that, they test the limits of their environment and will find their way out into the surrounding area, on top of all that the bedding we supply is all new and not comfy. You must admit you can understand why they want out.
Believe me things will soon change, most of the changes will be in the worms environment and your worms will settle.

Have fun and stay safe
WillyWorm

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”