Restart after winter

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
swedboy
Restart after winter

Post by swedboy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:10 pm

I've finally taken the wormery out the the coal cellar and put it back in the garden and all seems fine in there. Lots of little worm trying to escape plus slugs (how they get in is beyond me). During the winter the stuff in the trays has broken down nicely but they are all half empty bar the bottom one that is pretty full.

So my question is should I combined the half full ones into one two full trays and continue to feed from the top one or shall I just leave it as it is? Not sure whether this is what the wormery should do but it also seem like the soil sifts down to the bottom of the 'city' which is in my view quite nifty.

The soil looks beautiful except in the sump and the bottom one which is quite compact. I'm actually not getting any lactate after running this for a year but I doubt this is an issue as the wormery seems healthy despite a diet of mainly tea leaves.

Lilwriggler

Re: Restart after winter

Post by Lilwriggler » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:00 am

Sounds like it’s going really well, are you looking to harvest that bottom tray anytime soon? I did a harvest and combined a tray that was half full to keep the herd happy and move my next harvestable tray a bit further along. Just started a new tray and moved everything back outside, so all good.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:27 am

If the trays have been in place all winter you may find you have more than one tray ready for harvest. Just leave some castings behind to start the new tray, this will provide all the microbes, fungus and other composting friends to kick start the new tray.
I would not worry about the lack of leaches in the sump as long as the bedding is dump, if you want a liquid feed take a cup of castings in a bucket add a gallon of water and stir leave for an hour and use. Leaches can indicate your bin is too wet.
Well done on a successful winter.
Stay safe
Willy

Agnes E

Post by Agnes E » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:03 am

The Internet is playing its part in such a vast way. People do follow different dragon resume review websites that are based on health and its related matters. So choose wisely although there is a lot of fraud on the internet too things are right too. You just need to be extra vigilant.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:42 am

Be extra virulent and ignore off topic posts like the one from this guy. These posts are not supported by me or anybody involved in this forum.

Mackomez

Post by Mackomez » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:33 am

nice post i really like it. This post is good for me.

kyliejenner

Post by kyliejenner » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:35 am

Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the nice writing
<a href="https://creativemediatechnology.com/listings/33941-electrical-panel-services-mount-lebanon-pa">Electrical Switches Mount Lebanon</a>

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”