Ambush

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Lilwriggler
Ambush

Post by Lilwriggler » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:46 pm

Checked on my wormery before going on holiday for a couple of weeks. Its wrapped on 3 sides in carpet to insulate. Moved the carpet to see a little mouse perched on the external edge of a tray waiting for an escapee to appear! Will have to keep an eye on that but he couldnt get in, probably just staying warm...

Smallthings

Re: Ambush

Post by Smallthings » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:47 pm

Ah, an opportunistic mouse! Must've been like gazing in at a banquet and not being able to get to any of it. Over the Summer I found evidence of a mouse in the shed where my wormery is kept too (a roll of corrugated card I'd left in there for the worms had been nibbled), but so far it seems they just shared a taste for shredded paper.
Happy Christmas to you and your herd!

WillyWorm

Re: Ambush

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:25 pm

I have never heard of a mouse getting into a worm bin but they will often share the same environment. If you think about it the conditions we look for to keep our worms are also ideal for mice, Mice may well have moved in to the area if the worms were not present but the addition of worm bedding (also perfect for mice bedding) and bits of food falling to the floor during the worms feeding time makes if an even more desirable residence for the local mice.
I had mice where I had my worm bins and I put in one of these plug in bug and mice scare-off things and have not had mice since. At first I was worried it may affect the worms but I found no evidence of it doing so.
Happy Christmas all

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”