Worms are here!

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Greyworm
Worms are here!

Post by Greyworm » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi,
After a shaky start yesterday, Parcel Force guy got lost and then didn't book the parcel back into the depot, I have now set up my worms (The Unsullied of course :D ) as per the thorough instructions. Bin bag in place, just in case.

It's really tempting to take the roof off to have a look, but I've resisted so far. I will probably check in a few days to see how they are doing.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Ronnie at Wormcity who helped when Parcel Force messed up.

Cheers,
Greyworm

Lilwriggler

Re: Worms are here!

Post by Lilwriggler » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:18 pm

Great!
I would check tomorrow though as you may well have a few escapees in the first few days while they settle in! The best tip i can give is keep the garage light on the first couple of days which will limit it! Thats if it’s in a garage! Good luck, i’ve loved having my wormery, 10 months now.

Greyworm

Post by Greyworm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi lilwriggler,

Well you were spot on with your prediction. About 20 worms stuck in the bin bag this morning and about the same in the sump. I left the ones in the sump alone but rescued the ones in the bin bag and they are all back in now.

It's been a miserable day here today with lots of rain but no further escapees.

The wormery is in a long covered passage with one end open to the elements and the worms at the other end so nice and sheltered. Out of the wind, rain and direct sunshine. I'm thinking this should be a good place for them.

I gave them a handful of the wormfeed from the bag that came with them but I think for their next feed I will put the powder in a corner so I can see what they are eating.

Greyworm

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:58 am

Well done, it sounds like you are off to a great start. Take care not to put too much of the dry wormfeed in one place, it’s best used sprinkled on the surface. It’s a grain product which if too much is piled up can over heat and go anaerobic (it’s the same with all grain products, ie bread etc).
Keep up the good work of work and enjoy your worms.

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”