Ants

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Boudicca21
Ants

Post by Boudicca21 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:23 pm

I thought I was doing so well ... but all of a sudden the wormery is teeming with ants. I don’t think they are visiting, I think there is a nest.

So, presumably if I dig around I’ll find a queen? Destroying her will help get rid of the rest?? I saw an old post about sprinkling cinnamon and paprika into the wormery, so I’ll do that too. Would it help to make it wetter? The cardboard has definitely dried out.

Any other suggestions? I do still have worms but not as many as there ought to be.

Dstressdx2

Re: Ants

Post by Dstressdx2 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:39 pm

Definately too dry if ants are moving in.

Obviously you have the reverse of my problem with rain, so you'll need to add additional water, maybe via a watering can with a rose ...

Once you get the moisture level back up to where the worms are happy again, you should find the ants leave. In the meantime, ants also hate being disturbed so try and hunt for any nest area ie eggs (which look a bit like grains of white rice) in the tray.

Hope that helps, and be sure to let us know how you get on.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 am

Hi, ants do not normally harm worms , red wood ant will, so I think your disappearing worms is due to the same reason you have ants that is your bin is too dry. Don’t worry too much about the ants as was said above they will go when you get the bin to the correct level of dampness.
Use a spray bottle, if you have one to dampen the bedding, if not a quick splash with a watering can fitted with a fine rose on it will do. Try to get the bedding just damp. If you take a handful of bedding and squeeze it in you hand if only one drip of water comes out you have got it right.

Hope that helps
Will

Boudicca21

Post by Boudicca21 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:13 pm

I’ve given it a good stir, couldn’t find evidence of a nest so maybe they are interlopers after all. Although the cardboard ‘topper’ has dried out the stuff underneath is damp, can squeeze a tiny bit of water out.. I’ll soak the cardboard and add more water and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”