Newbie with 2 week old wormery

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
carltonherd
Newbie with 2 week old wormery

Post by carltonherd » Wed May 08, 2019 7:29 pm

My wormery is 2 weeks old and set up exactly to your excellent instructions. I've followed the advice of adding a small amount of food to the corner and to watch for it to be eaten before adding more. The last 2 weeks have been pretty warm in Bedfordshire and I'm wondering if my wormery has dried out too much as it isn't getting any moisture as I'm not at the stage of adding much food yet. What's the best way to keep it to the correct moisture level and how do I judge what that should look like? I've just changed the damp shredded newspaper for some whole soaked newspapers in an attempt to try to help but any extra advice would be appreciated.

Lilwriggler

Re: Newbie with 2 week old wormery

Post by Lilwriggler » Wed May 08, 2019 8:37 pm

From what i’ve read its far better to be on the drier side than the wetter side, the heat generated in my wormery tends to generate condensation in the lid which falls back into the top tray, or more likely adventurous worms venture through. As long as your wormery isn’t in direct sun and overheats it should be ok, but i will bow to far more knowledgable people on here :)

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu May 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi, well done on the start of your worming adventure.
Judging moisture at any stage of a bins development is never easy. The way to test moisture level in the bin is to take a handful of the bedding and squeeze it in your hand as hard as you can. If two or more drips of water are forced out then it’s too wet. If one drip of water comes out then it maybe too wet OR just right.
Worms are very adaptable and will survive in a wide range of moisture levels so there is no need to panic.
If you have a small hand spray bottle, a couple of squirts of water now and again will do little harm but dont allow the bedding to become too wet. I have not wetted my bins for nearly four years now even when setting up new trays.
Please keep us up dated,
Good luck
Willy

carltonherd

Post by carltonherd » Fri May 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks for your replies. I did end up adding a small sprinkle of water and whilst it's still not wet enough to squeeze out any drops of water it is a little damper. Interestingly, the worms are moving more now so I think they may be a little happier or perhaps that's because it's warmed up again outside. I honestly feel like I've gained a bunch more pets...they are certainly getting as much attention as my four-legged creatures! I've already saved several eggshells ready for baking and grinding so that's their next treat!

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”