Making worm tea

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Steve020cap
Making worm tea

Post by Steve020cap » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Does the water being used to make the tea need treatment for chlorine etc? I could use tap clear that I use for my aquariums or perhaps use the water from the aquariums.

WillyWorm

Re: Making worm tea

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:58 am

Water from the aquarium either made in to worm tea or use to water plants direct, is great stuff, it contains lots of goodness from the fish “deposits”.

WORM TEA what is it. If you are referring to an airated tea, that is where you take some worm compost add water and agitate manually or with an aquarium pump then the chlorine in the water will be released and dissipated by the movement so won’t be an issue.
If you are referring to the collection and dilution of leachate from the sump of your bin (which is not in any way a worm tea) then try to use rain water, aquarium water or water which as been alowed to stand overnight but this is not imperative.

Willy

Steve020cap

Post by Steve020cap » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks Willy. There is some thought that adding sugar/treacle/molasses to the the mix at the beginning gives the tea some extra zest, any confirmation on this or is that purely choice by certain tea makers.

Glad that the aquarium water can be used, along with,I should think, my fish pond water. It rarely requires topping up (Manchester!) so will be chlorine free. Also I have air lines to the pond that I can run into the tea mix.

Finally, I am in the process of adding the second level, started a few weeks ago. The new level is pretty tight on top of the first one, I have a layer of shredded newspaper, food and then a deep level of shredded paper. The beasts seem reluctant to move up a level, only a few so far making the effort.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi Steve, sugar will give your tea a real kick start. Every crita in you bin as a sweet tooth, from the worms down to the microbes and bacteria. All the sugars you listed are a very consentrated form of carbon, for us carbohydrates, for the worms a “brown” . If you are using it about a mug full of sweet stuff to a bucket of tea should be about right.

Regarding your worms be reluctant to move up to the second tray. Worms are very reluctant to leave a safe place if there is food remaining there. This is a good trait for us otherwise we would be constantly rounding up our herd. Only put a small amount of food in the top tray until they start to move up, I find this can take up to two weeks.

Sound like you are enjoying your worms
Let us know if we can help
WillyWorm

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”