Bedding drying out

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Smallthings
Bedding drying out

Post by Smallthings » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:52 am

Hi, in this extremely cold weather (-6 this morning) I'm clucking round my herd like a mother hen at the moment! They're in an unheated shed, wrapped in card, towels and bubble wrap, and dry scrunched up paper under the lid, so doing my best to keep them as warm as I can, as even the temp inside the shed is below 0 now. I've also cut right back on feeding. So far they seem to be coping ok. However, I've noticed that their bedding is getting quite dry now, I guess as there's not much humidity in the atmosphere, or natural moisture that would normally come from food waste. Would it be a good idea to add a few drops of water to the bedding now, or might there be a danger of that making it too cold/more likely to freeze up? Many thanks.

WillyWorm

Re: Bedding drying out

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:56 am

Hi, it’s important to keep the bedding moist. Worms breathe via their skin and need it moist to be able to do so. A light spray early in the day when it is warmer may be all that is needed. Try providing wetter food stuff like cucumber that may help, just do not allow the bin to become to wet or there is a danger of it freezing.

Zero is a critical point for the temperature to fall. You could wrap a hot water bottle between the bubble wrap and the bin!!! Another old trick is to place a slice of bread on the top of the tray. Any grain product will give off heat as it breaks down. Within a day or two you will see your worms huddled together under the bread as if it was an electric blanket. If you try this check it regularly because there is a danger of it becoming anaerobic and becoming harmful to your herd. If you are worried about the bread just replace it every three or four days .

Lets all hope it warms up soon.
Willy

Smallthings

Post by Smallthings » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 am

Many thanks Willy. Those are great ideas, much appreciated. I'm going out there now, the temps have risen by a few degrees so I'll add some water. I've not seen many worms near the surface so am a bit worried but haven't found any dead worms either - I'll go and do a more thorough check now. Bread and hot water bottle at the ready too. Yes, fingers crossed for warmer weather!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:11 pm

Please keep us updated, and hope the temperature starts climbing,

Willy

Smallthings

Post by Smallthings » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks Willy, yes, checked again this morning and they're okay, no dead or frozen worms. Used a hot water bottle between bin and bubble wrap yesterday/last night, and a slice of bread on top of their bedding as you suggested, I found a couple of worms under it already - will continue with these additional heating tricks until the worst of this weather is over - thanks. I think we're due for -4 again tonight.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Good to hear your herd are doing ok. Worms are a hardy bunch.

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”