My second tray does not seem to be filling

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Nanny Jan
My second tray does not seem to be filling

Post by Nanny Jan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:56 pm

I've had my pet poo wormery for about 8 months now. After a dodgy start with all my first worms dying I replaced them with new and off I went again. It seems to have worked this time, I have a good amount of worms and I have started on a second tray. However, this one does not seem to be filling, but the bottom one is getting compacted, and that seems to be where they are all living. When I lift off the second tray, there are loads just hanging out of the bottom, with the rest spread over the top of the first tray.
Also, although they are now munching their way through the dog poo, they still seem to take ages to eat it, in fact I think most seems to be eaten by pot worms. I cannot put food in every day, usually it's about once a week, if that. And it's not that my little doggies generate that much!
I also have some worms and compost in the sump, but I have read here about putting cardboard in the bottom tray so I will try that.
Should I start a tray 3, by taking some out of tray 1, even though number 2 is still not quite full?
I'm still not convinced I'm doing this right and would love to know if there is an expert in my vicinity (Blackpool) who could have a look and give me hands on advice?
Who knew worms could be this complicated???

WillyWorm

Re: My second tray does not seem to be filling

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:36 am

Hi, yes I think you need to move a scoop or two of your dog poo from the bottom tray to the top tray. This will provide something the worms are familiar with and encourage them to move up. It will also move some of the microbes that have developed in the bottom tray to start work on the next tray. Worms don’t directly eat the waste we give them, the microbes eat the waste and the worms eat the microbes and the waste which the microbes have worked over.

You have not mentioned the “bedding” material you are using. With dense food stuff such as dog poo you need to add an equal amount, by volume, of an open “brown” bedding material, at this time of year I would suggest dry leaves which you have crushed in your hands.

I hope that helps a bit,
Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:01 am

Hi again, just a thought, as a responsible dog owner you will be having your dogs wormed regularly. The residue of the worming treatment will be discharged by your dog in their poo!!! This could drastically affect the health and numbers of your worms. I’m afraid I don’t know for how long, after treatment, this could have a detrimental affect on your worms maybe your vet could answer that one (with horse wormers it’s normally 3 or 4 weeks)

Willy

Nanny Jan

Post by Nanny Jan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi Willy, thanks for your advice, always helpful. I've certainly got a lot of leaves in my garden at the moment, so I'll add a nice few handfuls to loosen it up. As for worming the dogs, they get sorted on their 6 monthly check up, and I leave them for 6 weeks after that to be sure it's all gone.
Once again, many thanks.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:34 am

That six week gap after worming should be long enough. I think we need to learn together on this one I’ve not come across many people feeding dog poo. Maybe Ronnie will have more info. But please keep me updated and I will chip in where I can

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”