Egg shell

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Lilwriggler
Egg shell

Post by Lilwriggler » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Quick question, does it need to be oven dried before grinding, or just leaving it to naturally dry in the garage will be ok? Equally ground into a powder rather than crushing it finely I take it, it’s about getting the calcium available for more immediate pH control.
Thx

WillyWorm

Re: Egg shell

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi Lilwiggler, maybe a quick question but a bit complex to answer. Worms don’t require very much calcium they do not have a bone structure to maintain however they do use the ground up egg shell as a grit to process their food in their gizzards. You are right about using eggshell to adjust the ph in the bin. Eggshell is a source of lime and can be used to “sweeten” the worms environment. Worms have small mouths and grinding the eggshells to a powder helps them to utilise it easier.
Drying your eggshells in the oven makes them easier to grind up and equally important removes any chance of you introducing salmonella to your bin.

Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:42 pm

Ah, thank you, I will keep them in the garage and cook them when I am ready to grind them!

beck

Post by beck » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:49 am

in times of pandemic, useful information is especially valuable. when you sit at home on self-isolation, there is especially lack of communication. it's good that there are https://www.topresumewritingservices.com/myperfectresume-com-review/ to help you stay connected with the rest of the world. there is a pleasant feeling that nothing has changed

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:24 am

Yea nothing has changed! We still get spammers. 🤬🤬🤬

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”