Blocked tap and sump full of dirt

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
beecityuk
Blocked tap and sump full of dirt

Post by beecityuk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi,

I've had my womery about 6 months now and am nearly full with the second layer. I fed the worms today and went to empty the sump but nothing came out, I took it apart and the sump had loads of castings in it that are blocking the tap. I put newspaper on the bottom of the first tray when I started but this has obviously disintegrated. What's the best way for me to make sure it doesn't keep getting blocked or is it just something I need to be aware of and regularly clean out?

elleyfant

Re: Blocked tap and sump full of dirt

Post by elleyfant » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Interested to hear the reply here. I just periodically clear it out..

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:37 am

The liquid carries the vermicompost down into the sump and then out through the tap

The best way to stop it from going into the tap is to put a piece of material on the back (like a bit of old tshirt / tights etc) and secure with an elastic band
This will allow the liquid to seep out but not get blocked by the vermicompost

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:09 pm

Hi, taps regularly get blocked, one way I found to stop it was to fill one tray with dry shredded paper or card place this between your current bottom tray and the sump. This will filter the liquid and retain the castings and will also have the advantage of stopping a lot of worms going down to the sump.
When you are ready to add your next tray take the “filter tray” and move it to the top and set up a new filter tray to replace it.

Hope that helps
Willy

inpots

Post by inpots » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:16 pm

I fill my sump with torn up egg boxes. The thicker cardboard and chunky shape seems to do a good job of filtering the liquid and stopping the tap from getting clogged. I fish worms out of the sump every couple of weeks, and make sure to fully drain it at the same time. I usually replace the egg boxes every month or so - just adding the old soggy cardboard into the feeding tray.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:32 pm

Good idea inpots.
I move my two bins into my greenhouse in October and checked and emptied the sumps for the first time the other day. I only got three quarters of a pint of liquid in total from the bins. I deliberately manage my bins to not produce leachate.

I like your idea and hope people will try it, thanks

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”