Time required

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Amanda
Time required

Post by Amanda » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi

I am really keen to get a wormery but would like to know about the amount of time it takes to look after it properly. I have very strange work patterns where I may not have to do anything for six or seven weeks then I may find I am working 16 hour days for a couple of months.

I keep bees and the time they need me most is during one of my busy times and I feel really guilty that I spend probably half the time I should in the apiary so I don't want to feel I am neglecting worms too.

My husband can fend for himself :D

Thanks

WillyWorm

Re: Time required

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Amanda, worms are very undemanding on your time. If you have time to lift the lid of your worm bin and throw in some food scraps every week or so, then you will meet their needs with ease. That said some people spend time each day with their worms. Worms are very addictive and will happily fill your down time if you let them.

Hope it helps
Willy

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Thank you very much, it does help.

I don't think my husband thought i was serious when I said I wanted some but he is about to find out I was. He should know better really, what with the bees and one of my chickens now being proud mum to five ducklings!

I hope people won't mind if I ask lots of daft questions.

Can I ask about siting them. I think I understand they are better if you can move them indoors overwinter but are they better left there all year round rather than moved and disturbed. I have a couple of small rooms/barns that are just full of junk at the moment and it would give me a push to clear some of it out The walls are a couple of feet thick so you don't get wild temperature fluctuations in them at any time of year.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:19 pm

The corner of a under used barn would be great. With walls that thick an old blanket thrown over them and they will be sung even in the coldest winter. Anyway worms have been known to survive in temps down to freezing. They will thrive all year in the barn environment and having them inside removes the worry of water getting into the bin.
Ask as many questions as you want don’t worry about it.

Willy

Amanda

Post by Amanda » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:38 pm

OK. Wormery ordered today.

Now scared to death!!!!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:30 pm

That’s great nothing to be scared of. Welcome to the world of worms.

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”