Feeding

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Steve020cap
Feeding

Post by Steve020cap » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:23 pm

I am just starting to add food waste to my 3 week old worry. I have a pretty good idea what to feed and what not to feed, but I c cannot find any references to ordinary mushrooms and the peelings. I would guess that it would be okay but just checking with the more experienced members of the forum

WillyWorm

Re: Feeding

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi Steve, they will love your mushrooms wild or from the supermarket just put them in there. Also if you normally wipe your mushrooms clean with kitchen paper then give them that as well

Have fun
Willy

Steve020cap

Post by Steve020cap » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:17 pm

Thanks Willy.
Farm seems to be starting up well, good earthy smell and all appear to be happy enough, no escapees, etc.
I believe dead flowers are okay, but are there any to avoid, but what about the stems/roots?
The initial layer of damp shredded newspaper is slowly disappearing so do I continue adding more damp paper over new food or is a piece of hessian or carpet preferable.
The problem with starting a new interest such as this is that there is a tendency to try and gather too much information from various sources which does muddy the waters.

Steve020cap

Post by Steve020cap » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:17 pm

Thanks Willy.
Farm seems to be starting up well, good earthy smell and all appear to be happy enough, no escapees, etc.
I believe dead flowers are okay, but are there any to avoid, but what about the stems/roots?
The initial layer of damp shredded newspaper is slowly disappearing so do I continue adding more damp paper over new food or is a piece of hessian or carpet preferable.
The problem with starting a new interest such as this is that there is a tendency to try and gather too much information from various sources which does muddy the waters.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:36 am

Hi again Steve, flowers are fine you can fed any actual flower or stem HOWEVER some people are expressing concern with regard to shop bought blooms. The reason being that in some shops the flowers are sprayed with an insecticide prior to them arriving in the shop, this is to make sure no bugs can contaminate human food stuff. Many insecticides could harm or even kill your worms, just something to keep in mind.

Yes add more bedding regularly, a small amount each fed is a good idea, just enough to cover the food you put in. I find that once a bin is up and running I don’t need to dampen bedding, the food stuff we feed worms is 80% water anyway and this will soon make the bedding damp. I’ve added no water to my bin for over two years now.
It’s good to hear things are goin so well for you, well done.

Have fun
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”