Losing bedding into sump

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Pablito
Losing bedding into sump

Post by Pablito » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:47 pm

Just at the end of my 4th week now. The worms seem to be eating very slowly, which I have put down to the heat. If I had given them a handful of food every other day, as recommended, the tray would be full by now, so I've been resisting the urge to give them all the waste that's piling up in my kitchen!
I've also noticed that a lot of the coir bedding medium is falling into the sump, the worms also seem to gather down there quite a bit. I thought this maybe because things were getting a little too dry so I've added extra water, but that doesn't seem to have changed their behaviour. They seem to be migrating into the sump and taking the bedding with them!
Just looking at other entries I think I may not be getting the shredded paper right. I've been mixing damp cardboard with the food, but it looks like I should be putting a two inch layer of damp shredded paper on top of the food. I'll try that. Any other suggestions?

wormcity

Re: Losing bedding into sump

Post by wormcity » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:05 am

Hi
Don't worry too much about the worms in the sump, they do-do this once you have more trays in place it will normally stop.
Just ensure that the tap is open so no water floods the sump.
If you have a barrier between the bottom of the 1st tray and the sump then the coir shouldn't fall.
Put some damp ripper cardboard in the sump and they will live there happily for a while.

The shredded paper needs to go above the food. It prevents flies and gives the worms something to work under.

Ronnie

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”