Damaged worms

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Lilwriggler
Re: Damaged worms

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Note the obvious mistake, if it’s alkali don’t add eggshells... theory 2 shootout of the water....

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:52 pm

What is the ambient temperature around your bin. Could it be the temperature is to high? Worms will be happies at about 20 to 25c . Are they located near any form of heat source, radiator, hot water pipes, positioned on a wall that backs on to a fire?
After four months you should no need to add any compost. Shredded paper or cardboard should meet all the worms bedding needs. Again after four months I would start feeding in a second tray particularly in you bin is inside.
Your bin should be capable of processing the hamsters waste with no problem, but you might want to leave it out for a while to see if it make any difference.
A photo of where the worm bin is located may help.

Please keep us up dated
Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 pm

It’s in the garage by the door, so temperature is ranging between 5 and 15degrees c at the moment. There is a piece of carpet around 3 sides but the front is open so I don’t think it is lack of air circulation. I’m principally putting food in the middle tray, the hamster bedding is going in the tray above so there is a little bit of food in there too.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:16 pm

I’ve justed looked and the ph of hamsters urine is normally ph8 this is slightly higher than worms ideal which is around ph7 but is still with in the acceptable range for worm keeping. Anyway urine will form a small part of the total feed and bedding you put in so it should not be a problem.

Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm

Everything seems a bit happier now and there are a large number of worms having fun in the bit of compost I added. No more dead worms and saw a baby one in the lid so they are breeding.

I’m going to partially line the bottom insulation tray with some newspaper I think to reduce the casts dropping into the sump and to start collecting them properly. If you completely line the bottom will the worms struggle to get out?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:51 pm

If you completely line the bottom tray with paper you may prevent the bin draining property. I suggest if things are going well at the moment that you “leave well alone” and let the system settle down.
Good to hear things are working out

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”