New wormery - one week in

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Jed7
Re: New wormery - one week in

Post by Jed7 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Thought I’d provide an update on my worm journey, particularly to show that patience seems t9 be the way to go.

After coming up to three months, my worms seem to be thriving. I’m still only feeding them occasionally, checking to see if there’s much left before adding some more.

I’d like to ask a couple of questions if I may:

1. If I add a layer of old carpet as suggested, does it matter which way up? I’m assuming it’d be better if the actual carpet is at the top rather than the bottom.
2. Do I need to feed the worms occasionally with a handful of the worm food that was supplied originally or do they now get all the nutrients they need from the scraps etc I provide?

Thanks.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:31 pm

You should not need carpet at this time of year, it may be useful in the winter but not at current temps.
You can if you wish continue to feed the dry food but you don’t need to, most of us keep worms to eat food waste. I keep some dry food for occasions when I have no other food available, like the day I return from holiday. I make my own, mainly from bread dried out in the bottom of the oven.

Willy

Jed7

Post by Jed7 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Thank you 👍 I’ll continue as I am then as everything seems to be going well.

Jed7

Post by Jed7 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Hello again. Sorry to be a nuisance but I just had a quick look in the sump and not only are worms there but it looks as if there’s also compost. I didn’t want to disturb them so it was just a quick peek. Should I leave well alone or should I move it all back up to my first tray?

WillyWorm

Hi Re: New wormery - one week in

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi, you could say the choice is yours. Some worms seem happy down in the liquid in the sump but a number will die there. I’m afraid you must accept the fact that there will also be some worms in the sump. I move the worms up if I have reason to be in the sump area but don’t go especially looking for them. You can put a washing-up sponge in the sump which provides something for the worms to climb if they want to return to the main area of trays.
The castings come down with the worms these are normally first class casting which after drying are ready to use on any plant in the house or garden.

Hope that helps
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”