Coffee grounds

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
birminghamwormcity
Coffee grounds

Post by birminghamwormcity » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi We picked up a big bag of coffee grounds from Starbucks on the M1 on Saturday. How much should I add at a time? Have just added 2nd tray and have lots of babies but don’t want to over feed them.

wormcity

Re: Coffee grounds

Post by wormcity » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi
Use a small amount at a time.
I tried adding worms to a large bag of coffee last year.
The worms wouldn't burrow into it.
I guess when fresh it's really acidic so it would be beneficial to age it

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Another problem of using to much coffee, in your worm bin, is the fact that coffee grounds compact and form crust which in turn forms a barrier which limits or even excludes oxygen. This can result in your bin becoming anorobic. Always mix used coffee grounds (UCG) with other food stuff, then it forms an excellent feed for the worms, it's high in nitrogen (which if fed without care will increase the risk of your bin becoming anorobic) also the worms can use it in their gizzards to help grind down the soft food they eat.
UCG can develop a mould very quickly. A little mould is not a problem but dont let it get too thick a green fur coat. You can freeze UCG, in small portions, for later use if you have extra. If you get to much UCG to use in your worm bin or its too green to risk, then sprinkle it between your garden plants where it will feed them, helping them make good green growth (great in the cabbage patch) and is also said to deter slugs.

Have fun
Willy

Dynamo

Post by Dynamo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:56 am

I've been getting grinds from our local Costa. I must have had about 20kg from them so far and there's plenty more where that comes from. The staff are really friendly and are more than happy to give me them. I've promised them I'll buy a coffee there soon lol. My car smells of coffee now too :D

I sprinkle the grinds in my wormeries, compost bins and on the ground before I add a mulch but always thinly. Little and often is the key. :)

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:01 am

We did this last year, used it as compost and dug it into the flower beds.

Most coffee shops will hand it out free of charge.
There was an article in Waitrose magazine last year about it

birminghamwormcity

Post by birminghamwormcity » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Thank you. I just used a bit and mixed it in. Mixed the bulk of it with paper shreddings and put in the compost bin instead.

:)

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”