Leaving worms for 2 weeks in winter?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
klompie
Leaving worms for 2 weeks in winter?

Post by klompie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi, I'm going away for a cple of weeks at the end of December. 
My worms are indoors at the moment but I intend to put them in the back porch which is enclosed but not heated. My question is how much and what kind of food to leave and do I stock them up with shredded paper as well?
Thanks.

WillyWorm

RE: Leaving worms for 2 weeks in winter?

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:55 am

Hi klompie. Food won't be a problem at this time of year. When your worms are in a cooler place they eat less. Feed the amount you would normally feed but if possible add shredded corrugated cardboard too fill the top tray. The cardboard will provide additional insulation and will also be used as food if the worms need it.
It sounds like the worms will be well sheltered but they may appreciate you putting an old cover over them.

Enjoy your trip and happy Christmas

Willy

klompie

RE: Leaving worms for 2 weeks in winter?

Post by klompie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 am

WillyWorm wrote: Hi klompie. Food won't be a problem at this time of year. When your worms are in a cooler place they eat less. Feed the amount you would normally feed but if possible add shredded corrugated cardboard too fill the top tray. The cardboard will provide additional insulation and will also be used as food if the worms need it.
It sounds like the worms will be well sheltered but they may appreciate you putting an old cover over them.

Enjoy your trip and happy Christmas

Willy
Will do Willy and thanks

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”