Moving inside

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
elleyfant
Moving inside

Post by elleyfant » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:16 am

Decided this year that I would move the worms inside for the winter after trying the greenhouse last year. It's been pretty cold where they're situated outside recently and they were really starting to slow down. Seeing everyone else's comments on how much their worms eat makes me think I don't have the ideal conditions anyway. Hoping it will also help with an ongoing battle to get the moisture level better. I seem to put in so much card and paper to get that better! Love having them inside ?? it's like having a new wormery again. cOnstantly going to have a peek to see how they're getting on. They got a trowel full of horse manure the other day. I know that's against advice on the horse manure thread (read that later), but i had hoped it would be beneficial whilst they were outside to get a bit of heat (there were some red wriggers already in there). The established bin's worms love it.

WillyWorm

RE: Moving inside

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi elleyfant, lucky worms lol I have spent today clearing out the greenhouse for my herd. A green house is not the best but it’s the best I’ve got. Last Christmas I did buy them a 12 inch (60 watt) tube heater for use on really cold nights. I have two bins in there side by side a gap between, about 6 inches, for the heater and bubble wrapped over them, I have the heater running during darkness if a frost is forecast for that night.
Horse poo is great for worms if it is aged. I won’t use it unless it’s got worms in it when I dig it out of the heap, if there are no worms it may be a sign that the horse has recently been “wormed” in which case it could harm or even kill your worms.
I think worm watching is more exciting than the telly just lately.
Have fun
Willy

elleyfant

RE: Moving inside

Post by elleyfant » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Haha! Telly is pretty rubbish! I'm sure the greenhouse would've been ok, as I'm more experienced now and would check more than just the top layer! Still don't understand how I ended up with so much water. But... I met zero resistance from my other half when asking to bring them in. I may just 'forget' to move them out again in the spring. :-D

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”