New wormery

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
klompie
New wormery

Post by klompie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:49 pm

I set up my new wormcity wormery about 3 weeks ago, following the instructions.
Put wormery into packing box..next morning mass exodus.
Decided to put drawer into bin liner, next morning mass exodus, tried 2 bin liners both knotted but saw them actually wriggling through the knots! Also discovered that crafty beasties push their way through the fibers in the bin liners, as they're very thin, the fibers!
The worrying thing was though that they seemed hell bent on crawling through the crack between wall and floor as the wall was dampish. From there they were lost to me.
However whilst I had a new roof put on, the builder called me to come n have a look at this mass of wriggling worms up there...yes all tiger worms and all mine!
By coincidence I hit on a good way to solve mass exodus, I put the whole wormery inside of those builders bags that sand and cement get delivered in, those things with handles.
I put a few spades full of damp soil, compost and cardboard inside the bag next to the wormery and next morning found all the escapees quite happily in there. Worked for me.
Anyway now 3 weeks in and all's calmed down, no more escapes and they seem thriving n eating steadily through more than I thought they would and seem even fatter than when they arrived.
Thanks Wormcity for an excellent product and great service.
Btw this forum might not be much used but is a mine of practical information about all the ups n downs along the way.

WillyWorm

RE: New wormery

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Lol welcome to the world of worms klompie.

Willy

pmpfr

Post by pmpfr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:22 pm

Just setup my brand new wormery last night. This morning and afternoon I see a few intrepid worms in the lid and many more round the edges. Is this the first sign of escapees? It's in the garage on a hard floor, but I suspect once they get out I'd never find them again. Not sure how worried I would be.

Peter

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi Peter I don't think so, I think they are just exploring. When you book into a hotel don't you check the fersilities out. Did you put any of their old bedding in the new bin to help them feel at home? If not then do it now it's not too late. If you are worried some may leave the bin put some damp corrugated cardboard on the floor around the bin, you will find any run aways under that.

HTH Willy

pmpfr

Post by pmpfr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 pm

Yes, I put all their old bedding in, along with a scoop of garden soil and covered it all in soggy newspaper strips. Sounds like a plan to put something damp on the floor underneath - then I'd be more likely to know.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”