Tree leafs as a bedding

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
PeteF
Tree leafs as a bedding

Post by PeteF » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:51 pm

question please.
I live next to a park which has many horse chestnut trees in it. We have had very high winds of late and the park is covered in leafs most of which are now brown. I believe the leafs will be all right when brown as a change to corrugated cardboard as a bedding. Do they need to be wet or dry ? and if used do i need to use them in moderation. I could easily fill a sack full but I've no where to store them other than my garage.
Pete

WillyWorm

RE: Tree leafs as a bedding

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:19 am

If you can dry the leaves they will be easier to crumple up nice and fine for bedding. I would not use whole leaves of any sort in my bin, they form a mat which will exclude air (oxygen) and take an age to breakdown. Once dry leaves are easy to "push" through a garden sieve. Leaves make good bedding but do take some work to prepare, a feed sack full of shreaded leaves will last a long while and is worth having ready for use.

Willy

PeteF

Post by PeteF » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:04 am

Ok Willy sounds as If you need to be careful how you use leafs. I think Ill collect a wad and let them completely dry out in the garage and see how it goes. 
Pete

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 am

Pete Collect them and run a lawn mower over them!!

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:16 pm

WillyWorm wrote: Pete Collect them and run a lawn mower over them!!
What a good idea !

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”