Melons

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
PeteF
Melons

Post by PeteF » Sat May 27, 2017 2:49 pm

my daughter works ay a nursery and acquires unwanted fruit for me, tea bags etc. Has anyone use canary melon skins (the yellow melon).the skins are a bit waxy and I wondered if these were ok (in moderation)
Pete

WormyMcWormerson

RE: Melons

Post by WormyMcWormerson » Sun May 28, 2017 7:50 pm

PeteF wrote: my daughter works ay a nursery and acquires unwanted fruit for me, tea bags etc. Has anyone use canary melon skins (the yellow melon).the skins are a bit waxy and I wondered if these were ok (in moderation)
Pete
I've given mine gala melon on a couple of occasions. They ate everything except a paper-thin layer of the outer skin.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun May 28, 2017 7:56 pm

They will be fine Pete, your worms will love them. Wish I lived closer to you, you seem to get all the best stuff lol. Only thing with melon flesh is it can be very wet so add dry bedding when you feed.

Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon May 29, 2017 8:49 am

Hi Pete, worms love melon and pumpking, everything from that family will disappear very quickly however they do contain a lot of water so provide extra dry bedding at feeding time.
I wish I lived nearer to you you seem to get lots of great stuff for your worms at this rate you will soon need another bin!!

Willy
Grrrr my post did not show so I sent again and the first one appeared as well

Sorry guys
Willy
Grrrr my post did not show so I sent again and the first one appeared as well

Sorry guys
Willy
Last edited by WillyWorm on Mon May 29, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

WormyMcWormerson

Post by WormyMcWormerson » Mon May 29, 2017 11:59 am

There seems to be an issue with this message board where posts do not appear, possibly due to cookies. Sometimes the only way I can see new posts is to use a completely different browser.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon May 29, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm having big problems. I feel a fool when I post again and two appear even when the originals were posted 24hours apart.
Glad it's not just me being a plonker.
Willy

PeteF

Post by PeteF » Tue May 30, 2017 3:13 pm

thanx Guys for your input. Yes I noticed how quickly the skins started to turn mushy so yes I added a bit of shredded cardboard.
Willy.......your psychic........I happened to see one on ebay by chance it was cheap so I bid....and I won it so now Ive ordered some
more bedding and some worms from Ronnie. I was up at six scrubbing it clean, replacing tap seal and fitting cardboard base ready for the new arrivals. LOL
Thought I might also take a bit of the vermicompost from the first bin and trade it for some of the fresh Coir in the second bin to get the organisms going. My herd love red seedless grapes !
Pete

PeteF

Post by PeteF » Wed May 31, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanx Willy. didn't think about soil water to soak the card board and wash the bin but it that all makes complete sense.
Worms arrived within 24 hours ( reliable wormcity ) I've done as you suggested and there now in there new home.
thank you once again Willy....your a star
Two bin Pete

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed May 31, 2017 2:21 pm

The soil water will kick start the microbs and make the worms feel at home.
If I can help just let me know
Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:01 am

Hi Pete, how are the new worms settling in?

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”