when to feed

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
PeteF
when to feed

Post by PeteF » Fri May 12, 2017 10:54 am

In G. Pilkintons book he states when you lift the lid and there are worms on the top its time to feel. if no worms then dont feed.
this morning there were lots of worms on top but there was food under the shredded cardboard. so I'm a bit confused.
your advice again please.

WillyWorm

RE: when to feed

Post by WillyWorm » Fri May 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi again Pete. In his book Pilkington also says vermicalture is not a science but an art. Meaning there are no hard and fast rules. I use a method of feeding which is pretty fool proof (it needs to be for me). I call it the four corner feed. I start feeding in one corner by pulling back the bedding and putting in a hen egg size portion of food then cover with bedding. I put a marker in the corner just done and move round in a clockwise direction. Next day I repeat in the next corner and so on until I get back to where it started. Now I pull back the bedding if there is food there then I don't feed it the food is gone or nearly gone then I fed. I continue this in the same order as the first time round. It won't matter if you feed once a day, twice a day, or once a week this will avoid over or under feeding.

Hope that helps
Willy

PeteF

Post by PeteF » Sat May 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Great advice Willy I will go for that method. once again thank you
all is well with my herd... which seems to be quite a bit bigger now :-))))))
must go now and get my ice cream spoon 
Pete

WormyMcWormerson

Post by WormyMcWormerson » Sat May 13, 2017 1:03 pm

I use the same procedure as WillyWorm except my feedings are bigger in size (currently 700g) and only twice weekly, so each corner has 2 weeks between feedings. It's quite impressive how quickly the worms get through it once their population is big enough. There are always a few worms on the lid whenever I lift it; I don't think they're hungry, they just like exploring!

PeteF

Post by PeteF » Thu May 18, 2017 3:39 pm

hello WormyMcWormerson
yes I too am surprised how quick they eat the food. I'm coming up my sixth week and I have loads of young ones.
and likewise I always find one or two in the lid. Really enjoying keeping them, its always nice when I lift the lid and see them.. clearly happy in their environment.
I keep mine in the garage.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”