mould on food

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
PeteF
mould on food

Post by PeteF » Fri May 12, 2017 10:45 am

I have bought an old table top meat grinder to reduce the waste size down.
my last grid up filled a 1 kg marge tub. I'm on my fourth week now and am cautious not to over feed my pets.
I have two questions... am I correct in thinking the grinder is beneficial and
my tub has started to grow mould..there's no smell in the wormery or in the marge tub... will this be all right to feed them ?

WillyWorm

RE: mould on food

Post by WillyWorm » Fri May 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi Pete, your grinder is a great worming tool. After going through the grinder much more of the surface area of the food will be expose which means the microbes and bacteria can get on with their part in the composting proceess.

A little mould is no big problem but dont let it get out of hand. If you find you have more food than you can use then, pop it in to the freezer for later use, if you use an old ice cream scoop to portion the surplus food on to a tray, before frezzing, then you can take the number of scoops you require when you next feed your herd.

Sounds like things are going well. Keep up the good work.

Willy
Hi Pete, I thought I had replied to this but it seems to have got losts. Never mind if it reappears I hope my two replies are along the same lines and don't contradict each other lol.
The grinder is a great worming tool. Food put through the grinder will have a lot of surface area exposed which means the microbes and bacteria can get to work breaking it down.
A little mould is no problem but dont let it get out of hand nor start smelling. If you have to much food at anytime then freeze it for later use. Use an old ice cream scoop and place balls on a open tray to freeze, then bag (mark clearly). You can then take out one or two balls then needed. If the weather is very hot you can put these in the tray frozen but normally thaw them out first.
Willy
Last edited by WillyWorm on Fri May 12, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeteF

RE: mould on food

Post by PeteF » Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 pm

WillyWorm wrote: Hi Pete, your grinder is a great worming tool. After going through the grinder much more of the surface area of the food will be expose which means the microbes and bacteria can get on with their part in the composting proceess.

A little mould is no big problem but dont let it get out of hand. If you find you have more food than you can use then, pop it in to the freezer for later use, if you use an old ice cream scoop to portion the surplus food on to a tray, before frezzing,  then you can take the number of scoops you require when you next feed your herd.

Sounds like things are going well. Keep up the good work.

Willy
Hi Pete, I thought I had replied to this but it seems to have got losts. Never mind if it reappears I hope my two replies are along the same lines and don't contradict each other lol.
The grinder is a great worming tool. Food put through the grinder will have a lot of surface area exposed which means the microbes and bacteria can get to work breaking it down.
A little mould is no problem but dont let it get out of hand nor start smelling. If you have to much food at anytime then freeze it for later use. Use an old ice cream scoop and place balls on a open tray to freeze, then bag (mark clearly). You can then take out one or two balls then needed. If the weather is very hot you can  put these in the tray frozen but normally thaw them out first.
Willy
Thank you Willy I appreciate you sharing your experience and of cause your help.
ice cream scoop eh .... I've got one of those that's never used so now ill employ it

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”