Getting ready for winter

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
elleyfant
Getting ready for winter

Post by elleyfant » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:31 pm

I've been wondering for a while what I should do about over wintering the worms. At the moment, they'll be stopping outside. I've read bubble wrap and boiler insulation etc, but if I bubble wrap up the wormery, surely that will cut off the air supply? What does everyone else do?

WillyWorm

RE: Getting ready for winter

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:23 am

Hi Elley. What a well timed question. Last weekend I moved my worms back into the greenhouse for the winter, this was mainly because here in Scotland it's been very wet and I was struggling to keep the water out.

Worms will survive in cold conditions, they have been known to survive in frozen bedding, but may well stop eating, producing castings and making babies, which are the three reasons we keep worms. A little attention will keep some activity going right through winter.

Bubble wrap is a great insulation and when it gets colder I will be placing some on and around my bins. Like you say if you put it on too tight and or seal it it can prevent air circulating (as will any plastic) but used carefully it's a great way to protect your worms.

If you are keeping worms outside in winter first look for a south facing sheltered spot to put your bin/s. Place some insulation on the top of the top tray, this could be cardboard, a square of old carpet (I'm not keen on this to many unknown chemicals involved) or my preferred choice a piece of pure wool (an old pure wool, not man made, jumper is ideal). Wool is the only natural fibre which will retain heat and insulate when wet, it will all so provide bedding and food to your herd.

Loosely wrap your bin in a water proof material (bubble wrap if used wisely) but leave the base and sump area uncovered in order that air can enter and circulate. A great way to insulate is to construct a box around your bin with a removable top, put your bin inside and fill the gaps all round it with hay or straw, this will allow air to circulate.

If at all possible try to get your bin inside somewhere, garage, shed, greenhouse, basement anywhere that provides some shelter.

In winter reduce the amount of food you put into the bin unless you provide a temperature in the 60s.
I have read that a slice of bread placed on top of the bedding on the top tray acts like an electric blanket and provides warmth and food, if you try it monitor it incase it starts to go slimy.

Good luck
Willy

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks WillyWorm. I think I will see if it fits in my coldframe. I've got a new washer (it seems to be leaking), so if that fixes it, will be able to take it inside sonewhere.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:37 pm

If the new washer does not work try some silicon. Once undercover you will not get so much liquid so it should be easier to deal with.

Willy

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:22 pm

Does the brood decrease in size as it starts to get colder? I'm worried I might have done something wrong. Gave them some more manure which they seem to appreciate, but the bottom layer used to be heaving with worms. Now not so much?

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:27 pm

I asked a question about worm population ocer winter. It seems to have gone?
Ok. Try again. Having real problems with this forum tonight. Posts are disappearing and then reappearing???
I was wondering whether the worm brood population decreases over winter. I don't have nearly as many worms as I did. Especially in the bottom layer, which used to be heaving. I am worried I might be doing something wrong. They've been fed regularly. No bad smells. They're not super wriggly :-s Just given them some more manure which they seem to be enjoying. Any thoughts?
Last edited by elleyfant on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi elley. Your worms will naturally leave the bottom tray as the food there is used up. If u have no bad smells this would indicate the bin is in good order. If conditions are right, temperature and moisture then there should be no dieing off of worms during winter just a slowing down in all they do. You did say the trays in your bin was heaving with worms! There is an optimum number of worms a bin can support. This is normally based on the square surface area however other factors can kick in, like temperature and moisture. Normally if the worms feel the bin is getting to crowded they stop breeding and coocons stop hatching they do not die.
My worry would not be the missing worms but the fact there not looking fit and active. Where are your worms inside or out? You said you had given them "more manure" how well aged is this manure are you sure there is no possibility of any left over residue from wormers in it! Manure is a great food and bedding if it's well aged at least 3 months for me I prefer 6 months or more. If the manure came from a manure heap and the are worms living in it then it should be OK.
While we look at the problem you may like to set up an insurance bin. I made mine out of two 2lt ice cream cintainers, put small holes in the bottom and top of one box and stand it in the other. Now start with new bedding and a little compost/castings after a few days add some worms. Feed this box with different food and monitor. With new bedding and different food you may see some improvement which will give clues to the problem.
Please keep us up dated
Willy.

PS I'm also having problems with this forum

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:30 am

The last time they got manure was in April/May when they were new, so hope that's ok. It's organic and really broken down-not steaming ?
They are outside. They were at the back of the house-sheltered and out the sun. I put plastic bags over the top to stop the rain, but lots of air access still. A few weeks ago I was concerned they were trying to escape suggesting something was wrong, and there were a few pot worms, so I put in some more egg shells (cooked and crushed) and more shredded paper. We eat a lot of spring onions, so it might be they had too much acidic food. I've stopped feeding them any of that now. I couldn't smell anything then (cold), but since regaining my senses, I still can't smell anything.
Last week I moved them to the cold frame and gave them the manure.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi elley, I think this is beyond me. I was thinking it was the manure, even organic wormers have something in them to kill worms, but you say this was the first fed of manure and it was after you noticed a problem. Onions are not good for worms but you say you are not feeding them now. Any change in PH as indicated by the few pot worms would not kill your worms (I have a lot of pot worms in my bin).
Is it possible that worms are leaving the bin without you noticing? If
worms are dieing in the bin it's hard to tell because they are made up of 85 to 90% water which leaves little solid matter to find.

Sorry I'm not much help, if you get any more thoughts please let me know.
Willy

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:11 pm

Yeah-some were leaving. I noticed a couple under the plastic bags (old compost bags, so dark) and a couple under the wormery where there was really soggy compost-I think from the leaking sump valve-although actually I noticed I'd left it open, so actually not at all sure it was even leaking ?
I also noticed wormery type worms a few metres away from the wormery under plant pots (starting to tidy up for the winter), but I can't guarantee they've originated from the wormery. I take any departure as a bad thing, hence considering less spring onion waste. Do they mind milk? My used teabags are removed after milk additions. Might this be the problem? I've stopped giving them that too just in case.
I've slowed down with the feeding cos they weren't eating too much... Maybe too much?
I'll take another peak at the weekend. I have bokashi good to go, never tried that before with them. Would you recommend trying that now or waiting?

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”