New wormery leaking?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Mick2me
New wormery leaking?

Post by Mick2me » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:35 pm

I have the 5 tray wormcity wormery
As the sump has now become filled up to the tap, there is a leak developed from the tap hole under the wormery?
The rubber washer is on the inside, where can it be leaking from and how do I solve it?

wormcity

RE: New wormery leaking?

Post by wormcity » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:17 pm

Hi
sometimes the tap hole isn't a tight fit
send me your name / address http://www.wormcity.co.uk/contact-us.htm     and I will send you another washer

Mick2me

Post by Mick2me » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:04 pm

Thanks message sent
Where does the additional washer go?

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:14 am

Mick2me wrote: Thanks message sent
Where does the additional washer go?

put one on the outside and one on the inside next to the nut (bit fiddly)  hopefully this will seal it

Mick2me

Post by Mick2me » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks, will keep it empty till I get the washer

Will do

WormyMcWormerson

Post by WormyMcWormerson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:56 pm

wormcity wrote: Hi
send me your name / address http://www.wormcity.co.uk/contact-us.htm     and I will send you another washer
Hi,

I am having the same problem, the nut is as tight as I can get it but there's still a hefty leak. Is it OK for me to contact you to request another washer?

Mick2me

Post by Mick2me » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:30 pm

I also recently purchased a cheap second hand wormery of another manufacturer.
The general quality is not as good as Wormcity but it is completely watertight despite being a similar construction for the sump.
Maybe there are more seals between the layers on that wormery?

The wormcity is not leaking from the front of the tap, the only route for the water can be via the thread and between the base tray and the sump.
I would think over tightening could increase any possibility of leak?

WormyMcWormerson

Post by WormyMcWormerson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:41 pm

Mick2me wrote: I also recently purchased a cheap second hand wormery of another manufacturer.
The general quality is not as good as Wormcity but it is completely watertight despite being a similar construction for the sump.
Maybe there are more seals between the layers on that wormery?

The wormcity is not leaking from the front of the tap, the only route for the water can be via the thread and between the base tray and the sump.
I would think over tightening could increase any possibility of leak?
Yep, the leachate is dripping down the gap between the sump and outer tray. I think it's always leaked but it's become much more noticeable and annoying now the wormery is producing a steady stream of leachate. Not sure it's over tightened, it's only as tight as I can get it by hand, though maybe I just don't know my own strength  :D

Mick2me

Post by Mick2me » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am

I will try the new rubber washer between the sump and the outer tray. There is no leake on the outside.
You could try Duck Tape on both surfaces and cut the tap hole through it. That may make a seal?

The leachate is is leaking on to boxes of compressed heatlogs for the woodburning stove and two of these have expanded!

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:11 pm

WormyMcWormerson wrote:
wormcity wrote: Hi
Hi,

I am having the same problem, the nut is as tight as I can get it but there's still a hefty leak. Is it OK for me to contact you to request another washer?

please do :)

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”