Wormcity Wormery 5 Tray (125 Litre) arriving tomorrow.

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Mick2me
Wormcity Wormery 5 Tray (125 Litre) arriving tomorrow.

Post by Mick2me » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:15 pm

I have decided that if starting a wormery, you might as well go for the biggest for best output.

Last week I purchased 250g of worms from ebay from another seller. These arrived in a jiffy bag, rammed through the letterbox by the postman. Unsurprisingly some were found to be D.O.A. or later expired. Result only 60g were left!

On arrival I placed these on arrival in a deep plastic box covered with a plastic board on the top.
I underestimated their ability to climb and some were found wandering around the shed.

I therefore decided to buy a proper wormery, and after much research, Wormcity offered the best quality item/value for money. I have plumbed for the Wormcity 5 Tray (125 Litre)Wormery/500g worms/bedding/food, to get the best turnover of compost.

My only concern is where I will place it, escapees can dig into soil, perhaps a large bag under and around the wormery will prevent this?

I have read that wiping soil and water over the new plastic might reduce the urge to move on?
What about setting all five trays up at start with sheets of newspaper in each to give them somewhere to wander to?

I see that the base is an upturned tray. Is this the same as the others, and could it be used as a sixth tray?

I am sure I will have more questions?

WillyWorm

Re: Wormcity Wormery 5 Tray (125 Litre) arriving tomorrow.

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi Mick2me, sorry to hear of your expieriance with your first purchus of worms. Yea wiping the new plastic and trays, with soil or garden compost diluted in water, will help to prevent the worms leaving your bin. If you can mix some shredded newspaper or shredded corrugated cardboard, in a bucket or box, with some damp soil or garden compost asap before the worms arrived then use this as bedding, they will be less inclined to go walk about. Wormcity will include with your wormery a good guide on how to settle your worms into their new home, one of the tips is to stand the wormery in a black bag overnight or to leave a light on over the worms, they won't move into light.

Hope that helps
Willy

Mick2me

Post by Mick2me » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks

I am also reading, use rain water not tap water?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:57 pm

I hope it all goes well, good luck

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi there
Thanks for choosing our wormery you won't regret it ?

Yes you can use the base as another tray. Many people do sometimes they use bricks to raise it up more so they can get a bucket under the tap.

Re the dead worms the other seller. You should complain and get some more. Worms do perish occasionally en route (especially when hot) but you have a right to expect then alive

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”