what is the right amount of wet?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
elleyfant
what is the right amount of wet?

Post by elleyfant » Mon May 30, 2016 11:25 am

I've had my worms for a little over a month now and my next stress-attack about making sure I'm a good worm-keeper is the right amount of wet.
After a bit of rain getting in, and the perhaps overzealous addition of left-over (uncooked) beansprouts, I became paranoid that perhaps I was starting to turn the wormery into the dreaded anaeorbic conditions.  It had started to smell a little.  I consulted George Pilkington's book and he said: if you squeeze the bedding and more than a couple of drops come out then mix in some cardboard.
I squeezed and it was more like 8-10 drops.  So I mixed in cardboard + some woodchips.  BUT too little moisture is also bad.  Did I do right?  I guess adding more air like this can't be bad, but it is clearly disturbing the worms.  I didn't notice any yellow eggs :-( just lots of (sweet) pepper seeds!

For more info to set the scene:
The wormery started off ~5-6wks ago inside.  I used to spritz the top with water as the central heating was still on.
Then it went outside and got rained on.  The sump gained some really soggy compost.  I put this back on the top tray and added a layer of shredded cardboard on top of the bedding tray and added more compost on the top tray.  It then got moved inside on rainy days (heating no longer on) and about 2wks ago we got a shelter (log store, so very airy, but with a roof) where they've been since.  The location is not as warm as where it was before though.
In addition to the beansprouts, I think that weekend (2wks ago) I added too much veg waste + nettles as treats all in one go, and they've not been fed since.  The smell isn't bad bad, but it's noticable, where it wasn't before.
When mixing in the fresh cardboard to soak up excess (?) moisture, I noticed that the top layer of the bedding was pretty damp, but less so inside.  It was the inside that had the 8-10 drops when squeezed.  The sump was filling with overly damp compost, but not proper soggy like before.  There were loads of worms in the top layer where it was its wettest (soggy cardboard and the food), so perhaps it wasn't too wet after all?
I've peeked in since, and the cardboard in the bedding has adsorbed moisture, but in the top layer, it wasn't so damp, so - I spritzed a bit of water in again. 
I feel like I might be over correcting, so it swings from one extreme to the other and that perhaps I should just leave them alone.  Clearly, I have learned my lesson re the feeding.  They were doing so well eating it all, and I think the move to the slightly cooler location in combination didn't help.

WillyWorm

Re: what is the right amount of wet?

Post by WillyWorm » Mon May 30, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi, you have no reason to stress, things seem to be going well. You are so right it's very easy to over compensate with all things worms, particularly moisture and wetness. One minute it seems right and a few minutes later it's all wrong. The first thing to remember is that worms are very resilient and can handle many things, after all they they are native to our country and do live through all the extremes nature throws at them.
You did the right thing if the bedding feels to wet, by adding new bedding and shredded cardboard is best for absorbing moisture.

If you think the food is too moist then you can again add/mix shredded cardboard before feeding or you could try adding bread which you have dried in the oven first.

The other thing to do is aerate the bedding by turning it over at the same time check that there is a clear path for moisture to reach the sump.

Finally it maybe time to add the next tray and provide more room for your growing family.

Try to relax and enjoy, with the care you are giving them your worms will thrive and multiply

All the best
Willy

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Tue May 31, 2016 8:05 am

Thanks WillyWorm!  I did have a few peeks yesterday at the top of the bedding tray and they seemed to be ok still.  Like George Pilkington says in his book it's an art not a science!

I do enjoy the worms very much.  I was looking on the website thinking of ordering a second one, but should really see this one out a year before I get too carried away.  I need to forewarn the other half too...  :)

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue May 31, 2016 8:16 am

Hi, having two bins is no harder than one provided you have enough food available for them. I have to scrounge scraps from niegbours to keep my herd fed.

If you do get another bin you won't need the worms you can slip the worms you have into two.

Have fun
Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue May 31, 2016 7:27 pm

Slip= split

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Well WillyWorm. I think they're doing ok  :D

I now have a family of flies that great me each time I open the lid, some tiny brown things that live in clumps between the lid and lip of the top shelf - ants? But brilliantly baby worms. And loads of them! Success.!!! :D

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi elleyfant do you think you may have 'fruit flies' (google them) they can be small and brown. If it is fruit flies then the way to avoid getting them and to deal with them when you do have them is to cover everything you feed your worms with fresh bedding. I read the other day that Pot Worms deter fruit flies I don't know if it's true but I seem to have a lot of pot worms and no fruit flies lol

Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:21 pm

It sounds like your worms are doing very well and the fact that your herd is growing shows they are happy and well cared for.
If they are fruit flies, you have, they will do no hurt the worms nor the castings, they are a nuisance to the worm keeper particularly if the bin is inside the house or you are trying to persuade your partner to let you bring it in for the winter. Not a nice thing to face every time to remove the lid
Did you get you second bin yet?

Have fun
Willy

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:19 pm

I thought fruit flies are really small and seem to have almost a 'floating' way of flying? The sort that end up in your red wine?
I googled them and the zoomed up pick do look similar, but these are 5-10mm long. The wings look big, transparent still, and they fly up and at you quickly when the lid is opened. What do you think?
I have been putting plenty of shredded paper on the top to try and stop fruit flies. Actually today there weren't as many so maybe I'm starting to get more fly scavengers in there. I was thinking about the wintering thing as well. I had hoped to take them back to the attic, but flies would be an issue-maybe that'll just feed the spiders that come in for the winter.

No second wormery - not broached that with the other half yet. But now it seems like they're settled I am tempted! :)

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:37 pm

Maybe you have some other sort of fly but if the additional bedding is starting to reduce their numbers I suggest that u keep adding it.
I think the term "fruit fly" is used for a range of flies which feed on decaying fruit and veg. Ronnie will have more info on this but until she comes on keep adding the paper.
I get the feeling you have wanted a second bin since the day your first one arrived, maybe as well to beat the flies before broaching the subject with the other half.
Keep us updated
Good luck
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”