Mourning

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Cherjoy
Mourning

Post by Cherjoy » Tue May 24, 2016 10:01 pm

After 4 happy years with my worms I plead guilty to murdering them all or worm slaughter perhaps.
I wonder if anyone can verify my guilt - it seems things went belly up after I fed them sauerkraut and pasta. I couldn't standthe sauerkraut disgusting stuff seems worms didn't like it either. Do u think this was the culprit?
The trays have soil in them except top has rotting veg , it doesn't smell to good, but had a few hundred dead worms in the sump.
One big mama worm left alive in the soil.
Should I clear the lot and start again or can I buy some new worms n add them?
Can I plead diminished responsibility ?

WillyWorm

Re: Mourning

Post by WillyWorm » Tue May 24, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi Cherjoy, I fear it was death by sauerkraut  😫. I think the sauerkraut would have been too acidic and your worms and could  not get away from it.
I don't think I would put new worms into the bedding which is left. I would clean the trays out and start again with new bedding and new worms 😟. You may want to keep the castings from the lower trays, in a bucket, if they contain any eggs these may hatch in time.
In order to diminish your responsibility and guilt when you get your new worms buy them a melon for a special treat.

Good luck
Willy

WillyWorm

Re: Mourning

Post by WillyWorm » Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 am

Cherjoy, if you have a compost bin in the garden you could put the contents of the trays in there. This will give any remaining worms or eggs a chance to recover and the sauerkraut won't harm the bigger environment.

Good luck
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”