Adding new worms

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Perky1950
Adding new worms

Post by Perky1950 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:49 am

I want to tidy up my wormery , it has been going strong for about 3 years now . But it has slugs in it . I want to introduce some new worms , shall I set it up as starting from new ? I have coir and lime and dry feed . Do I just put new worms with older ones ?

WillyWorm

Re: Adding new worms

Post by WillyWorm » Sat May 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi Perky, the easiest way is to add your new worms to the old bin however you did say your wormery had been "going strong for about 3 years" is there room in you bin for the new worms. Worms will only breed and multiply if there is sufficient room and food for thier young. A normal stacking bin will hold about 2.5 to 3 thousand worms after that there will be little new life. After three years your bin should have reached the 3k mark so you may need to start a new bin or reduce the numbers by moving some worms out.

Slugs in the bin are not a big problem, they will not harm the worms nor the compost in fact they are part of natures natural composing set up. There is a danger that you will spread slugs or slug eggs around you plot/garden when you spread your worm castings. If you want to remove the slugs I find a simple beer trap works best.

Hope that helps, please let us know how you get on or if I can help in any way

All the best Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”