Feeding

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
elleyfant
Feeding

Post by elleyfant » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:03 am

So, I got my wormery complete with 1kg worms exactly one week ago. Set it up with the coir, some old compost, some organic composted manure and a small handful of cereals (supplied) with damp shredded newspaper on top. It is sited in my attic as there was the cold snap at the weekend, and I've not sorted insulation/shelter outside yet. I had only 2 worms escape (one unfortunately didn't make it, the ither I caught in time and returned). So all in all I think it's going well. But I was wondering about feeding, as the advice can be a bit conflicting. There were worms in the lid a lot. I worried about moisture content, but checking the top of the bedding it seemed ok. The worms like the sump, so I've added scrunched up newspaper. I thought after a while that maybe they were hungry, so I added some chopped veg scraps, another handful of the dried cereal and damp shredded cardboard Mon evening. The worms then stayed below, out of the lid all Tuesday. Today, they are in the lid again (Wed). I know the  common rookie  mistake is over feeding, so I'm trying not to feed too much. But I also read that if you see worms at the top they are looking for food so you can feed them and that they can eat half their body weight a day. That's 500g waste a day. I've definitely not given them nearly that much. And also that you should only be feeding them 1-2 times a week. Clearly I'm new to this and don't know what I'm doing, and want to do right by my worms. What do you think?

WillyWorm

Re: Feeding

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:24 am

Hi welcome to the world of worms. It sounds like you are off to a great start.
If you live in the UK the is no needed to worry about the occasional frosts we get at this time of year, it won't have time to penitrate the bin and harm the worms. In winter when temperatures stay below zero for a day or so we do need to take precustions.
You said the worms seemed to like being in the sump, this is true when you first set up. I was not clear if you have put newspaper and food in the sump! The sump should be left clear, I have a old washing up sponge in my sump just to assist the worms to return to the first level, but with the Worm City design it's not really needed. To prevent worms moving down to the sump most people put a piece of cloth on the bottom of the first tray this works like a barrier. This move down to the sump does settle down, worms tend to move deeper if worried or distressed, and your worms have had a stressful week bouncing about in the post, new home, etc.
Worms in the lid, two or three sheets of wetted folded newspaper on top of the top tray of bedding will help this, but I still get worms in the lid, they are mainly small worms so I put it down to rebellious teenage dehavior lol. Worms just seem to like the lid.
Feeding! Firstly forget the half their own body weight aday stuff. When you read that it always says 'up too'  worms can eat half there body weight but only in ideal conditions, that is when moisture, temperature, occupancy (number or worms in the bin), food stuff, are all exactly right. Worms will eat a fraction of this amount of food in a new bin. Think for a moment about this. Half their body weight of water melon is not much food while half their body weight in the dried food you got would be a lot. I feed to meet the worms needs. I feed a egg size porpion kitchen scraps buried in one corner of the bin, next day I repeat in the next corner of the bin going clockwise and so no till I have done all fHi welcome to the world of worms. It sounds like you are off to a great start.
If you live in the UK the is no needed to worry about the occasional frosts we get at this time of year, it won't have time to penitrate the bin and harm the worms. In winter when temperaters stay below zero for a day or so we do need to take precustions.
You said the worms seemed to like being in the sump, this is true when you first set up. I was not clear if you have put newspaper and food in the sump! The sump should be left clear, I have a old washing up sponge in my sump just to assist the worms to return to the first level, but with the Worm City design it's not really needed. To prevent worms moving down to the sump most people put a piece of clothe on the bottom of the first tray. This prevents the worms moving down into the sump. This move down to the sump does settle down, worms tend to move deeper if worried or distressed, and your worms have had a stressful week bouncing about in the post, new home, etc.
Worms in the lid, two or three sheets of wetted folded newspaper on top of the top tray of bedding will help this, but I still get worms in the lid, they are mainly small worms so I put it down to rebellious teenage dehavior lol. Worms just seem to like the lid.
Feeding! Firstly forget the half their own body weight aday stuff. When you read that it always says 'up too'  worms can eat half there body weight but only in ideal conditions, that is when moisture, temperature, occupancy (number or worms in the bin), food stuff, are all exactly right. Worms will eat a fraction of this amount of food in a new bin. Think for a moment about this. Half their body weight of water melon is not much food while half their body weight in the dried you you got would be a lot. I feed to meet the worms needs. I feed a egg size portion buried in one corner of the bin, next day I repeat in the next corner of the bin going clockwise and so on till I have done all four corners. The next day the fith day I check the first corner and if the food is gone or nearly gone I replace it if it untouched I don't feed that day.

I hope that helps, you may be new to worms but you have made a great start
Have fun
Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:45 am

Sorry don't know why it's repeated itself above. ?

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks! Great tips.  :) I will check the first lot of food I put in, although it wasn't much-bit of banana skin and lettuce.
Re the sump-no food in there. At the start I dutifully returned the worms to their bedding, but I later read ot was fine them being there and to just add some scrunched up newspaper to make it more of a home.  I did that in the lower 2 bits of the sump-nothing on the highest parts. The worms seem to manage to crawl up the lid, so I'm not worried they'll get trapped there.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi. Just to clarify your tray with bedding and food should be sitting directly on top of the sump. The spare trays should be put to one side till you need them. Only when your first tray is full and working well do you introduce a second tray.

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:10 pm

Obviously not explaining myself very well. That is how it's set up. But the sump has essentially 3 levels-it's stepped that way, the lowest level being in the centre. That's what I meant. So newspaper is in about 2/3rds of it, bit not at the edges.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:50 pm

OK but there is no need for newspaper in any part of the sump. The levels are there to assist the worms to return to the bottom tray. I fear the  paper will break down and encourage the worms to go to the sump and block the tap. To the worms newspaper is food and in the sump it will get wet. if you think they need more assistance try a sponge but if you like the idea of paper then give it a try, experimentation is all part of worm keeping.

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:46 pm

Ok. I'll take it out. I read it somewhere to put it in, but I don't want to help block up the tap!
Thanks. 

WormyMcWormerson

Post by WormyMcWormerson » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:21 pm

My worms love the sump. You get a couple of weird ones that just love to bathe in the puddle of leachate all day. I forgot to block off the bottom tray with a t-shirt this time so every time I feed (only twice a week) I check in the sump and bring them back up to the top tray.

elleyfant

Post by elleyfant » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Yeah. I took the newspaper out, but they do seem to like it there!

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”