new wormery setup

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
greenfingerswannabe
RE: new wormery setup

Post by greenfingerswannabe » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:01 am

Hi Willy

Are you saying you get a trayful every month. That's some production. Had mine just over 2 months and am only now just thinking of adding a second tray. I wonder if I could have introduced a second tray sooner? I have noticed the 1st tray is now considerably heavier than it was at the beginning. I have never weighed the food I introduce but would guess it to be about 1/2 lb every third day. I check regularly and only put food in when the previous has diminished considerably, which seems to be every 3rd day. Is the reason you are able to put in 1 - 1 1/2 lb per day because you are now using 5 trays and do you always put it in the top tray?

I must add that everything in my bin is looking tickety boo!!

Alan

WillyWorm

RE: new wormery setup

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi Alan. I harvest the bottom tray every month. It takes five months for a tray to get from the top to the bottom on a five tray setup so it's not really that fast. I have two stacking bins one holds aprox 2k of worms the other about 1.5k of worms most days I feed each bin aprox 1lb of food, dependent on the typ of food I have and if I have it. My worms are only fed in the top tray but some do remain lower down clearing up left over food and bedding. 

A well balanced mature bin is more efficient (and more forgiving) than a newer setup.

Good to hear things are going well at your end, don't rush your worms things will be better for it.

☺willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”